Funkungfusion

Swede

Gold Trader
Funk Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, hopefully someone will be able to help... I'm trying to find out when my Funk Pro Comp/Durango frame was built. I've traded some emails with "Dave" at Funk but he hasn't answered my question about the age.

I bought the bike sometime in the early 90's from a friend who (I think) got it from a shop in Newquay called Evolution. Over the years I've changed most of the components but it was (and still is) fitted with a Deore XT FD-M735 front mech which was launched in 1990; so I'm guessing the frame pre-dates that a little?

Looking at the few photos that are on the web the seat pin clamp is welded to the back of the seat tube whereas later models have this either at the front or it's been removed in favour of a clamp.

The frame number is A304013F. Funk in Lanzarote.jpg Wiggly spokes.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it's a 1990 as it's the same as yours i.e. riveted cable guides on the top tube and screw in chrome ones on the seat stay. :D

Love your build thread; where are you with it now? My bike has been sat in a box for the last 6+ years as the rear mech ripped itself out of the drop-out and smashed it's way through the rear wheel. Luckily(?) DIY & babies stopped my doing anything hasty and I'm now in the process of getting it repainted and put back together - more pics to follow.

Your story is a common and familiar one! I have been doing quite alot of work to my house the last year including a garage extension job which is nearly done so the Funk build will resurrect soon, keep an eye out, good luck with yours!

I learnt a valuable lesson a few weeks ago; a 10:1 water:Fenwicks FS-1 solution dissolves urethane elastomers! I was busy cleaning the components (inc the stripped down forks) and couldn’t figure out what the red snot was until it was too late… Believe it or not the flat red & black “blob” used to be the same as the other elastomer (which has also partially dissolved).

I had to buy some replacements from Suspension Fork Parts.com which probably cost more than the forks are worth but I had to do it. The Manitou’s are now fully rebuild and the brace has been replaced with a Brodie Rock Rooster

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130739689594&clk_rvr_id=373086917201 Brodie Rock Rooster.JPG Manitou elastomers...JPG

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Stunning...

A FUNK is still on my 'must-have' list, and preferably in green like the one I used to see showboating up Southsea seafront as a lad...

eh, Ash..?? ;) ;) :D

GT-Steve":2c70pzzr said:
Stunning...

A FUNK is still on my 'must-have' list, and preferably in green like the one I used to see showboating up Southsea seafront as a lad...

eh, Ash..?? ;) ;) :D

:LOL:

Very happy memories Steve!, thanks for the reminder, it will happen again one day, not sure I will be showboating quite as much though!

Lovely bikes....a must have for me in the future....
My original one back in the day was lime green with a black splatter.....never seen another with same paint :)

Back