Double U Brake Saracen Trekker 1989

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well thanks to Barneyballbags for outing this on the Ebay and Marketplace threads, this was fairly local, but with help from the gravymonster who was visiting Devon, this arrived at my house last Wednesday.

It’s a 1989 Trekker Comp, and seemingly 100% original. The bottle cage is bent badly, and there are patches of rust (small) on the rear U brake and a few chips on the frame that I will tidy up one day, but generally this is a pretty mint condition bike. The chainset looks like the previous owner used it very minimally, and the black ano is mainly still on the wheels, so they haven’t had much use either.

My love for Saracen’s came when an unbranded Saracen was purchased second hand for my 14th birthday from my folks, and it was nearly this bike, albeit it with canti forks. I loved that bike and rode it everywhere, only for some low life to steal it when I was at Uni (which they did by breaking into a shed and somehow throwing it over a 12 foot brick wall).
Anyway, not too much to do on this, except ride it and clean it up in places. Already in discussion with rupew and gravymonster in here for a big double U brake ride!

If you like this, also check out lrh who has another great example, as does rupew and gravymonster and finally discodrive

Excuse the big auction sticker on the seat that I have yet to remove in my excitement!

Fullshot.jpg

bars.jpg

Few rust spots (look worse in the photo)
fewrustspots.jpg

full2.jpg

fullbike.jpg

heaadtube.jpg

Internal routing will never catch on!
internalrouting.jpg

Awful (again) camera shot, but the wishbone is some fine work
wishbone.jpg

originalbottlecage.jpg

Original reflectors!
originalreflectors.jpg

rearubrake.jpg

rearmech.jpg

The best decals of all time
Saracen.jpg

trekker.jpg

Lovely sofa
saracenseat.jpg

seat.jpg

stem.jpg

trekker2.jpg

And during my first outing
wheel.jpg

And here it is with gravymonsters, in a particularly fetching shot!
withgravymonsters.jpg

twinss.jpg

twins.jpg

Fullshot.jpg

Better pics to come, I have moved house and lost the camera (and my sanity and bank balance) :oops:

Glad you finally have your mitts on it :cool:

I love the little rt angle bracket for the rear reflector, quite unusual as I bet most were removed in 1989 :LOL:

Also the rear mech guard that stops you removing he rear wheel quickly :LOL:

Look forward to seeing it polished up and more importantly the Saracen ride :cool:

Gravy Monster":3bwxsje5 said:
I love the little rt angle bracket for the rear reflector, quite unusual as I bet most were removed in 1989 :LOL:

Also the rear mech guard that stops you removing he rear wheel quickly :LOL:

Yep, those are going in a box in the shed this week, when the cleaning begins properly.

Was surprised how springy these are given their weight. Rode really nicely when I took it out on Friday. I had forgotten in the 11 years since I last rode one :LOL:

Snap! Except it looks like a better starting point for a restoration than mine or DiscoDrive's. Probably only needs a bit of paint on the fadded/rusty bits :)

I'm liking mine more now the shifters/brakes are set-up and bedded-in. Still feels heavy and stiff to me (for "double butted") but everything has a direct, solid action with loads of feedback.

Funny how four of these have appeared in as many months... Did you see another member (guymuttley21) outed their 22" version last week: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213654

Didn't see that but am looking now.

Bikes on here come like buses! Always in batches. Will be happy with this when finished if it looks like the others on here.

Back