Help! Newbie needs some help with an Orange P7 *Pics Added!*

Boromedic

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi all, really great forum here I've been browsing for info of similar bikes to mine, but not really found one with similar logo's etc. so can you help!!

I acquired this in a trade for some guitar fx about 5 years ago and shamefully I've been out on it only a handful of times since. Its sat in the shed and made me feel guilty everytime I see it as it's such a great bike. I've decided to avoid my wife's complaints (long story but riding a bike has been off limits for 2 years) and get it sorted.

So pics should be below but I have a few questions if thats ok? The number on the bottom bracket (which I assume is the serial?) is A50100336 anyone any ideas on the year this was made? Looking round it, the whole groupset appears to be Shimano STX-RC (although the shifters aren't labelled there's just an embossed Shimano STMC-33 cast in them). It has Mavic 230 TIB rims, Orange SK8 handlebars etc (I'm a bit lost on all the part lingo!!). Any idea on what the forks are, the finish matches the bike but there's no logos on them I can find?

The right STI shifter will run up the gears but won't engage back down without repeated presses of the lever. Any suggestions on how to get this working, I've heard it's not a good idea to go opening these up! Also the frame is beginning to develop rust spots and chips in what looks like lacquer. Should I strip all the lacquer off and get it refinished, any suggestions welcome, and all help much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Al

P.s. Had to post pics in separate reply as this is my first post.

Pics!

Thanks again guys,

Al

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg
[/img]

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Sorry can't help s know nothing about Orange. But most certainly clean up and put some off road boots on it. The forks are Orange too.
And hi

Hi there, cheers for the welcome!!

Yeah the guy I traded with had it set-up for road, I'll probably be doing a combo of road and trail so any suggestions for which tyres would be best? I'm looking to try and get it back to to nearly new but I'll need a lot of help and advice on stripping and cleaning if there's any going! I used to be a bit of a tweaker till I hit 16, but STI shifters and sealed bottom brackets, stems etc are a bit of a mystery!!

Cheers again,

Al

dump WD40 into the cable replacement hole on the shifter

they get gummy with age.

Yeah as above, spray a load of wd40 into the shifter, then work it into the mechanism by working the levers.

I think you have a plated frame, the lacquer isnt lacquer but a metal coating on top of the steel frame. Stripping it will require a lot of work and or an industrial process. My preference would be to get some metal polish/chrome polish and an afternoons worth of elbow grease.

Your fork is an Orange F7, original spec for rigid Oranges of the time.

Oh and welcome to the site :)

Welcome, yet another 'newbie' with a P7, that's a good few now in recent weeks!

Yours is a 1995 and looks very tidy, should come up a treat with a bit of TLC

P1060391.jpg

JeRkY":3gywlmrt said:
Yeah as above, spray a load of wd40 into the shifter, then work it into the mechanism by working the levers.

I think you have a plated frame, the lacquer isnt lacquer but a metal coating on top of the steel frame. Stripping it will require a lot of work and or an industrial process. My preference would be to get some metal polish/chrome polish and an afternoons worth of elbow grease.

Your fork is an Orange F7, original spec for rigid Oranges of the time.

Oh and welcome to the site :)

Hi bud,

thanks for the welcome and the info I shall get to work soon then!! Would you recommend Autosol or something similar?

Dossa":hf1qbw53 said:
Welcome, yet another 'newbie' with a P7, that's a good few now in recent weeks!

Yours is a 1995 and looks very tidy, should come up a treat with a bit of TLC

P1060391.jpg

Cheers mate, I saw your rebuild thread and you did a cracking job on your P7! I was a bit lost with the year because of the decals, which seemed different to other 95's but kind of figured the serial number would indicate what year it is. If I can get mine to look half as good then that would be cool, was your frame plated also? I'm only wondering as I saw your method of removal worked a treat so may try something similar.

Also where would I go to get it re-treated/re-coated after I've cleaned it up?

Cheers bud,

Al :D

Back