Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 am
Posts: 146
Location: United Arab Emirates
Haha, no not yet I don't see him so much these days (I'm going back 6 odd years when I traded!), he got the best side of the bargain in some ways though. Included with them FX was a mint Boss CE2 Black Label which was worth a bob or 2 then but even more so now. I was more than happy with the trade though!!

Hopefully one day soon he'll get to have a look see, and maybe a ride!

Cheers :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 am 
Newbie

Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 9:16 am
Posts: 1
Hey, Just seen your P7 rebuild. Lovely looking build. I've just started stripping down my own Nickel P7 which is almost identical. I spent a painful evening with aluminium foil getting rid of some of the lacquer last night. It's going to come up fantastically, though will take me quite some time.

Did you remove all of the lacquer using Matty's aluminium foil technique, or did you Nitromors it at all?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:58 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:10 pm
Posts: 921
Location: Hampshire
Good work! Finished pic in the sun looks great :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 am
Posts: 146
Location: United Arab Emirates
woodced wrote:
Hey, Just seen your P7 rebuild. Lovely looking build. I've just started stripping down my own Nickel P7 which is almost identical. I spent a painful evening with aluminium foil getting rid of some of the lacquer last night. It's going to come up fantastically, though will take me quite some time.

Did you remove all of the lacquer using Matty's aluminium foil technique, or did you Nitromors it at all?


Hi mate,

First of all, good look with the build cos it's hard work!

I started using Matty's technique but being the impatient sod I am switched to Nitromors because it was quicker in the end.

Keep us updated, there's loadsa awesome guys on here who will give you all the advice you may need and they're far more knowledgeable than me.

Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 am
Posts: 146
Location: United Arab Emirates
raymondluxuryyacht wrote:
Good work! Finished pic in the sun looks great :-)


Awesome!! Cheers buddy :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:24 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:51 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Seaford, East Sussex
Boromedic wrote:
woodced wrote:
Hey, Just seen your P7 rebuild. Lovely looking build. I've just started stripping down my own Nickel P7 which is almost identical. I spent a painful evening with aluminium foil getting rid of some of the lacquer last night. It's going to come up fantastically, though will take me quite some time.

Did you remove all of the lacquer using Matty's aluminium foil technique, or did you Nitromors it at all?


Hi mate,

First of all, good look with the build cos it's hard work!

I started using Matty's technique but being the impatient sod I am switched to Nitromors because it was quicker in the end.

Keep us updated, there's loadsa awesome guys on here who will give you all the advice you may need and they're far more knowledgeable than me.

Cheers!


After reading all 5 pages of this thread I'm really excited to get cracking with m P7. Keeping natural and well polished was the best bet I think, didn't like the idea of you powder-coating it or respraying it at all.

My nickel frame looks in similar condition to yours did with, what looks like, relatively mild but numerou s surface rust spots 'under' the lacquer with patches of lacquer coming off.

My main question for you now that you are a seasoned pro at getting the lacquer off, is how did you go about applying the Nitromors? That stuff makes me quite anxious about damaging the nickel, but good to see that actually some one (you) has used the stuff to good effect. Seen so many people suggest Nitromors, but not seen any actual examples, and/or, methods of using it.

I tried the tin foil and warm water, but I simply don't have months—which would be the sort of timeframe I would be looking at. Don't mind spending time polishing, but not scrapping metal foil on metal. :)

I digressed a little, but if you can give me an idea of how you used Nitromors: how long you kept it on the frame for before removing the Nitromors (surely not a metal scraper, do some people simply hose it off?)

In terms of the polishing after the Nitromors what did you use: metal polish and hand cloth or polish pads on a drill?

Any advice on how you did most gratefully received. Been anxious about doing this, so hearing it from the horses mouth after doing such a bang-up job would help a lot.

Oh, and love the brake/gear out casings.

Regards
Graham


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 pm
Posts: 4278
Location: Perfect Sound Forever
I'm in the middle of stripping my P7... Nitromors is next to useless on it... In desperation tried some really cheap stuff (white bottle) in B&Q. £2 odd for the smaller one...

It's worked wonders and the frame is fully stripped in four applications...

Will post pics of bottle if anyone interested...

Oh, and OP, did you get the foil sticker of Gil... Great bike by the way, these things look best with that understated touch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:30 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 am
Posts: 3370
Location: Stockport ..
You did an amazing job on your Orange and it's really refreshing to see you staying original with the finish on the frame 8) ..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 am 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 am
Posts: 146
Location: United Arab Emirates
imjustcreative wrote:
After reading all 5 pages of this thread I'm really excited to get cracking with m P7. Keeping natural and well polished was the best bet I think, didn't like the idea of you powder-coating it or respraying it at all.

My nickel frame looks in similar condition to yours did with, what looks like, relatively mild but numerou s surface rust spots 'under' the lacquer with patches of lacquer coming off.

My main question for you now that you are a seasoned pro at getting the lacquer off, is how did you go about applying the Nitromors? That stuff makes me quite anxious about damaging the nickel, but good to see that actually some one (you) has used the stuff to good effect. Seen so many people suggest Nitromors, but not seen any actual examples, and/or, methods of using it.

I tried the tin foil and warm water, but I simply don't have months—which would be the sort of timeframe I would be looking at. Don't mind spending time polishing, but not scrapping metal foil on metal. :)

I digressed a little, but if you can give me an idea of how you used Nitromors: how long you kept it on the frame for before removing the Nitromors (surely not a metal scraper, do some people simply hose it off?)

In terms of the polishing after the Nitromors what did you use: metal polish and hand cloth or polish pads on a drill?

Any advice on how you did most gratefully received. Been anxious about doing this, so hearing it from the horses mouth after doing such a bang-up job would help a lot.

Oh, and love the brake/gear out casings.

Regards
Graham


Hi Graham,

Sorry for the delay in replying mate I've been away etc.

Thanks for all your kind comments, it all turned out ok in the end!

In terms of how I did it, I was really straightforward in the end and despite some other peoples experiences literally 2 and a bit coatings in Nitromors and it was all off.

I applied the Nitromors with a brush and left it as per the instructions on the tub, I then started removing the lacquer using a variety of things, a cloth, tin foil and for the stubborn bits super fine grade wire wool. Once applied the lacquer comes off really easy in some parts but other bits are a pig hence the wire wool, just use the finest grade you can and scrub, if you struggle then try the next grade up, I did that round all the areas tubes meet and around the wheel mounts because they are some of the worst to de-lacquer. The frame and nickel came to no harm on mine so you should be fine. Also remember to wear gloves just in case you get any on you.

Of course YMMV, but I will say the second time I applied the Nitromors I used a thicker coating and left it longer than the stated time so that may have helped. It won't hurt your frame, its safe for wood so on steel it will be fine. Plus most of the stuff on the net about Nitromors suggests the stuff isn't all that strong any more, I can't comment on that but can say I had no problems at all with it. Also I did it all outside due to the fumes so find a big space or pray for sunshine!

Once I had all the lacquer off, its Autosol time! Again I followed the instructions and with plenty of elbow grease using cloths, some wire wool and also 1/2" cloth strips to wrap around the frame it worked great. I then turtle waxed it for protection, and nearly a year later there's no external rust! I reckon any of the polishing methods you suggested (polish pads with drill) will also be fine, you won't hurt the nickel its super hard wearing stuff.

The gear and brake casings are just Clarks stuff which I got from CRC, not pricey either but they looked kinda cool!

If you want any more info then don't hesitate to ask or PM me, I hope I can be of assistance!

Keep us posted with pics etc!

Cheers mate,

Al


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:30 pm
Posts: 552
Bit of a necro but interested to know how the bare finish held up?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dare, elPedro666, Google Adsense [Bot], kingroon, Mike Muz 67, Racin'snake, stew-b, Thias and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group