Yeti FRO -> C-26 Prototype replica tribute project

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
With the shipping of my FRO frame to Chris Hertig I officially kicked off my latest project aimed at converting a old school Yeti FRO into a C-26 prototype replica. My goal here is not to make another C-26, in fact it won't be labeled as a C-26 but rather to build a tribute bike to the C-26 proto which has not been done before. There are several replica or post-yeti built C-26s, but as the original proto has been destroyed there are non in existence at this point in time.

Here is what I'm going for:

proto.jpeg

c26_proto.jpeg

Yetip2.jpeg

Here are some pics of the donor FRO frame and a link to my blog post providing some more info:

http://www.secondspincycles.com/2012/08 ... oject.html

This specific FRO has several damaged areas (seat tube, dent in top tube, modified BB shell) which make it a suitable candidate for this conversion as the frame will effectively be destroyed during the conversion process. My previous FRO was far too nice to use for this project and I am very happy to have found this one.

This project will take a very long time to complete, so updates may not be that frequent, but I'll do my best. All of the work on the frame is being done by Chris Hertig who build all of the original C-26s, FTW is going to build a replica of the original stem used on the proto (clamps onto an extension brazed onto the Yeti fork).

DSC_0633-vi.jpg

DSC_0635-vi.jpg

DSC_0637-vi.jpg

DSC_0638-vi.jpg

DSC_0639-vi.jpg

DSC_0640-vi.jpg

DSC_0643-vi.jpg

DSC_0644-vi.jpg

DSC_0645-vi.jpg

DSC_0646-vi.jpg

DSC_0647-vi.jpg

Pictures of what's left of the original prototype tubes:

proto_tubes.jpeg

Pictures of my actual carbon tubes (supposedly the last set):

P1010634.jpeg

P1010636.jpeg

passiflora":10j0r2mh said:
will this be strong enough to ride?

are you bonding it yourself

Chris Hertig is doing the work.

The C-26 was never really that strong to begin with. At most each bike saw several months of use on the circuit. Although none "officially" failed at the time JP/CH were concerned with the reliability of the frame due to the bonding process and adhesive flow during joint joining.

So, according to CH (mostly a liability concern) this bike is not trail rated. With that said it being built in the same exact way as it was build for Tomac, Furtado and Worley. They rode it and it didn't break. So I figure if I can shed a few pounds I can ride it as well.

We're all careful with our vintage bikes, after all 20+ years of fatigue is not something to discount and so I plan on treating this bike as a well used 20+ year old bike and will ride it accordingly.

very interesting project!

mkozaczek":3a6d3d3q said:
..So I figure if I can shed a few pounds I can ride it as well.
and this is good intention ;)

..but what is with the top tube? at the FRO it isn't circular but oval :?

Nader":2qioom8n said:
very interesting project!

mkozaczek":2qioom8n said:
..So I figure if I can shed a few pounds I can ride it as well.
and this is good intention ;)

..but what is with the top tube? at the FRO it isn't circular but oval :?

Only the rear section of the FRO frame will be used. The entire front triangle is cut off, the seat tube is milled out and all new joining lugs are made to go in place of the original joints (new head tube, new seat tube joining lugs).

So the oval top tube is not an issue.

Sounds like a interesting project.

I'm sure it will be around for many years to come.

looking forward to progress :)

Iv'e always fancied trying to make one of thoose BAMBOO wood frames, I guess they are bonded as well at the joints

Bonding

Im looking forward to following this build :cool:

Should the glues/adehesives not be far superior than 20 years ago!?

I am a bit thick, so bere with me, but how did the frame on the prototype frame you have pictured, differ from the others..?

obviously there are small details like cable roller, lugs etc, love triangle, but did the tubing differ a at all...? i mean the carbon tubes supplied?

sinnerman":1mi7drjk said:
I am a bit thick, so bere with me, but how did the frame on the prototype frame you have pictured, differ from the others..?

Frame differences

1. Simplex dropouts vs. machined ones (like on later FRO, ARC, Ulitmate)
2. Cable stops on top tube are bonded onto the carbon section, later C-26s had cable stops welded onto the metal sections of the frame
3. No reinforcing gusset on the drive side chain stay like later FROs
4. Cable stop actuated front derailleur as opposed to using a pulley to route the cable to the front derailleur

Other differences

1. The prototype bike had a custom made FTW stem that was a sort of forerunner of the modern day threadless type stems. An extension tube is brazed onto the Yeti fork and the stem clamps onto that extension like today's stem. Fork is still threaded and uses a threaded headset.

2. Decals didn't say C-26, just Yeti, Shimano, Easton and so on in different photos

Latest posts

Back