1994 Diamond Back Ascent restoration - finished!

renaldo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This was my first proper mountain bike, bought new from a local bike shop - can't remember if it was 94 or 95 now so I'd be grateful if someone remembers what year its from the paint scheme.
Previous rides included a 5 spd Raleigh Mustang (child’s version – I was young!) and a Diamond Back Curacao with a hi-ten steel frame that was a bit of a gate – too big for me- so this was a revelation at the time in terms of handling, acceleration, responsiveness…..It was subsequently replaced and left slowly rusting away in the garage at my parent’s house.

Since finding this site and rediscovering my love and appreciation for mid to late 90s mountain bikes I felt really sorry for it and wished I’d taken better care of it, and have been meaning to do something with it. I gave it an initial clean up and strip and realised it was going to need a bit more than a quick squirt of Muc-Off and a hose down. I didn’t take any ‘before’ pictures of the whole bike but you can get an idea form the state of the frame and stem – lots of spiderwebby rust under the paint, lots of tarnishing to all the metal drivetrain components.

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

The frame, forks and a lot of the components then spent about a year and half in a box at the back of my wardrobe while I got distracted by other projects, although I did start hand polishing some of the components. I’m aiming to keep as much of it as it was when we were both younger and in better condition. I reckon I can salvage everything except the brakes, STIs, chain and possibly the cassette, and these will be swapped like for like, so it’ll be keeping an STX group.

Polished cranks
IMG_2614.jpg

Rear mech
IMG_2612.jpg

New NOS front mech or old polished one?
IMG_2615.jpg

New brakes
IMG_2622.jpg

New STIs
IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

New BB
IMG_2618.jpg

I have the original saddle but don’t think I’ll be using it as it’s a bit of an armchair – I remember reading a review back then and them being confused as to whether it was meant to be a racer or a cruiser, as parts of the bike were quite sporty but some of the speccing seemed to imply it was more of a cruiser. I'll probably use a Fizik Gobi Kium
IMG_2621.jpg

I have the original Avenir Vigor EX tyres but remember not liking these much back then. Think I used the classic Smoke / Dart combo instead. I remember the higher end Apex and Axis bikes having skinwall Psychos and thought they looked really good so managed to find a NOS set which I’ll fit.

Also have the original bar which I'll use as its in really good condition, and the seatpost which I might replace as its tatty and looks just like a generic alloy one
IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

Grips will be old Onzas if they clean up well enough or some NOS Ules (cheers Osella!)
Old
IMG_2634.jpg

New
IMG_2627.jpg

I’ve also finally got around to sorting the frame. Gil has made some great new decals for it, and the frame and forks have been shotblasted ready to be sprayed.
photo7.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

Also got some of the finishing kit like the stem blasted and powder coated.
IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

Next step is to get frame sprayed in as close to the original colour as possible, fit new decals and lacquer, finish polishing up the components including the wheels (Araya TM-18 on STX hubs) then build and enjoy!

drystonepaul":1nd90o2i said:
I like it. A good honest frame with a good honest STX groupset.

Thanks Paul.

I meant to say, the frame is made of double butted True Temper AVR tubing and weighed in at 4lbs 12oz (2168g) complete with rust :LOL:

Finally got the frame back. Its been sprayed, flattened down, decals by Gil applied then lacquered over the top. I'm really chuffed with how its turned out. It really looks like it did when new. Being such a dark colour it hasn't photographed well but its a lovely really dark metallic green that looks different in different lights. Decals are spot on. Just need to pull my finger out and finish polishing up all the parts for it and get it built.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

Re: Paint

Wold Ranger":16520m5c said:
Is it paint on the frame, or powder? Looks stunning either way ;)

Thanks, the pics really don't do it justice either, will have to get it outside in some sunlight. It's paint, sprayed by a car bodyshop. Think it was a Mazda colour. Would have gone for powdercoat but got a much better colour match this way.

Back