1991 Merlin Hardtail -- Now with PICS!!!!! :)

r0gue

Old School Hero
Edit -- See next post by me. ------

Small pressed BB so it's gotta be what 1992ish?..., a Merlin Ti Bar. Cook cranks. XTR Mechs w/ Grip shift. Syncros Ti seat post. Nuke Proof hubs.

Well used, but I don't see anything too major. Cracked King headset is a little weird, but easily replaceable. Seems maybe I'm a hundred or two too high, but I'm going for it anyway. Its local so no shipping, and it's something to tinker with. You guys have awakened the mid 90's MTB sicko in me!!!:twisted:

Pics to follow within an hour or so.

Welcome to (mostly) mid-1991 !

:cool: Welcome to (mostly) mid-1991. Checked the SN# against the web resources available. The frame is circa 1991 with a 51xx SN#. That is the year I got my first decent MTB (a Trek 8000 bonded). My brother has that now. I'll get it back one day. Mark my words! Bwahahahaaa!

This steed has seen some use and has lots of cosmetic indicators, but all in all, it seems pretty nice. It has the small pressed BB (I hope that won't turn into a troublesome affair). It has Cook Bros cranks, lots of XTR, a Seven stem and Merlin Ti Bar, Syncros Ti seatpost. The fork is a White Brother and has holes for disc, so it is newer of course. I think he said the climbing handles were Titus..? (sound right?) Nuke Proof hubs.

I hope I didn't overspend. It was local so no shipping. It seemed so easy I couldn't resist. I think the headset needs replaced. It has a hairline crack. Enjoy the pics you enabling buggers you!!!

img2207hh.jpg

img2211i.jpg

img2210z.jpg

Awful flat test ride pedals removed. My buddy hang in out with me in the man cave.

img2216z.jpg

Very NICE bike! those red cable frame protectors, not so much! :LOL:

fork not so fond of either.

Nice bike!! Merlin bars are pretty hard to find!! :cool:

Just out of interest...did you apply the headbadge itself as i'm sure only later models had the headbadge?...not sure when though (95 onwards???). Pre-head badge was simply the Merlin logo....

Drewson":359wf1se said:
Nice bike!! Merlin bars are pretty hard to find!! :cool:

Just out of interest...did you apply the headbadge itself as i'm sure only later models had the headbadge?...not sure when though (95 onwards???). Pre-head badge was simply the Merlin logo....

I felt strongly enough that the badge was a more recent (last decade lol) add on, that I removed it already! The bottle cages too are already off and we'll see what I find for that job. The red cable covers are part of a closed system similar to Gore. We'll see how they fare too I suppose. I had intended this as a rider not a wall hanger, so they may survive.

As I pulled off that head badge I hoped to heck it wasn't original. We're all pretty certain 1991 was just a white falcon head tube decal right?

Yup, just the white falcon as Merlins logo for the headbadge in 1991...i have to say the rest of the frame looks as early as 1991 in my opinion....very sweet :cool:

i love the merlin frames, although i feel they look better with a nice rigid fork. this looks like a good start though.
i must say i'd love to have a set of merlin bars on mine.
here is a pic of mine with a nice rigid fork and with the black frame protectors. nice choice of cable outers though.

Attachments

• IMG_5020.JPG
    IMG_5020.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMG_5019.JPG
    IMG_5019.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,243
Back