My tired & tatty 1993 Brodie Catalyst… make-over???

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
If you're looking for a garage queen, or even something remotely pretty, turn away now! There's not even a Gatorblade fork or complementary Canadian components, so you will be sorely disappointed and maybe even offended! :oops: :LOL:

So I've been sitting on this for some time now. Frame was originally traded for a 90 RM Blizzard I had picked up cheap for the intent of building up a bike for a nephew. In the end I put together another bike for him and kept this lying around not knowing what to do with it.

Since my two other main projects are on hold, and a third i've somewhat abandoned for the time being, I thought this deserved to be put together and at least ridden once. At the very least, have it as a spare to loan out.

As you can see, this sad Brodie is in rough shape. All the decals are in place but barely. There are major paint scuffs on the frame, fork and stem, as well as signs of some surface rust, but no dents or dings as far as I can tell. They really need a respray but unfortunately doubt I'll invest the time and money anywhere in the near future.

The XT groupset with Wolber AT18/Ritchey Megabyte skin walls are in very decent clean shape. Tried to wash the tyres a bit as they have dirty grease stains, but didn't have much luck. These parts I stole off the Blizzard and/or other RMs I may have collected as complete bikes which I may have rebuilt or passed on.

Fork is I believe a Nishiki stock fork made from 4130 steel, same as the frame. They're no Gatablade but I must say they look good with the frame and suit it quite nicely. Especially like the Kona canti hanger I ended up mounting and using as well.

[edit March 21,13] I'm now considering doing a make-over… details at the bottom of page 1 thread, thoughts??? :D

Attachments

• IMG_3038.JPG
    IMG_3038.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,751
  • IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_3040.JPG
    IMG_3040.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,751
  • IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,751
i think you are being a little hard on the old girl. :LOL:
sporting it's scars quite majestically.
good solid rider and most will agree a definite keeper. ;)
roy

:LOL: not saying that this is some ugly duckling, as i have made some effort in putting it together somewhat properly. just saying it ain't no beauty queen! ;)

Give me a practical ridden bike any day of the week; I think it looks great and has quite obviously had some care taken over the build. Put a silver stem on it, and it would be near to perfect.

No need to worry about chipping the paint, when the paints already chipped. ;)

Patina gives it that little extra something. You can see it's been ridden and used properly. Quite right. :twisted:

so i've been told that my brodie might be a bit earlier, perhaps a 91 or 92 given the serial number.

So this has been dated by Paul Brodie as a 1993. ;) Thanks to Roy for asking him for me.

I'm now considering doing a make-over…

Strip and repaint frame in white/blue. Also as I don't have a gatorblade, and probably hard/long search for one, I'll use the next best thing which I already have in hand… a Powerlite with appropriately long steerer (swapped off my RM Experience). Combine that with a Cattleprod and painted white to match.

To go with that, Syncros Ti seatpost, white perf Flite Ti saddle, Race Face anodized blue Turbine LP crankset with RF rings and Ti Taperlock bottom bracket, threaded Real Seal headset, Air Alloy handlebar. Turquoise Pulstar hubs laced to Mavic m231 rims.

The rest of the build is yet to be decided. Either it will be XTR m900 for sti shifter/levers, canti brakes and mechs. Or XT m73x thumb shifters and mechs with Ritchey Logic (WCS) canti brakes and levers.

Thoughts and feedback?

Attachments

• DSC03122.JPG
    DSC03122.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSC03121.JPG
    DSC03121.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,326
  • BrodieMakeover.jpg
    BrodieMakeover.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,326
Took a few days and started recreating replacement decals. Took some work but pleased with the results. :D

Attachments

• Repro.jpg
    Repro.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,323
  • DSC03145.JPG
    DSC03145.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Trace.jpg
    Trace.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,323
  • DSC03120.JPG
    DSC03120.JPG