Raleigh Kalahari - my new project

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
My new project, is awaiting collection at the courier. I sadly wasnt in when they tried to deliver. Thanks to Degsuk for the frame :D
and hope its ok to use the sale picture.

Its an early 90’s Raleigh Kalahari. If anyone has any details on specs or pictures they would be much appreciated, I know it had Shimano Deore LX parts as it says it on the frame :p .

I would also like people memories if they have ridden one, i hope it does not get the same ammount of 'flak' that the Raleigh Activator thread gets :shock:

My plans are too give it a service and put on some parts bin spares and just ride it. I know its not the lightest of frames and its lucky I have thighs like king kong.

Here it is in all its glory :D

Kalahari6-1.jpg

SIMONFREESE":16trthq2 said:
I, for one, think that is a nice looking frame, and am looking forward to seeing it built up!

Kind of you to say so :D

I like the look of it and i am a fan of Raleighs I have already mocked it up with some alloy rims, bars etc.

Going to fit a new bottom bracket later, give it a clean and then start the build. Probably going to remove the Kalahari decal and just keep the Raleigh one.

I have a Raleigh Record Sprint, black paint with the same Raleigh logo, so I was bound to like this one!

I think with 'retro' bikes it's all about what you enjoy, if you worried about others you would just buy a new Specialized and be done with it! Hope you enjoy building this one up, it should bring you a lot of fun!

Good grief :)

A mate of mine got one of those with his first pay check when he started working. Shimano Altus A10 groupset and a Girvin Flex-Stem iirc

MonkeyBoy76":1i9bkjkd said:
Good grief :)

A mate of mine got one of those with his first pay check when he started working. Shimano Altus A10 groupset and a Girvin Flex-Stem iirc

:D

Your are correct on the spec, i am giving this one a little upgrade though.

I am struggling to find a seatpost that fits the frame, i have several in the parts bin but no joy :(

I have looked on Sheldon but my bikes not listed.

Amyone help or point me in the right direction

I have a Kalahari (bought new for £300 in summer 93). It has the Girvin flex-stem and Exage brakes / gear train... totally stock and still on the original tyres.

I always found it to be ok to ride with a nice gear change. Thought about getting rid of it a few times and buying something newer to get back into cycling... or maybe keeping it and adding suspension forks.

Back