Kona Explosif 1997 - "look, a golden bike!"

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Another steed and this one is a keeper! Everyone knows 1997 was the best year for Kona's ;) (see the thread on the chat forum). I love the colour schemes and graphics used for that year. As described in other threads, I had a 1997 Cinder Cone in the lovely deep blue colour which ultimately led me to this site back in 2009.

97Page16.jpg

Que a couple of restorations of older models, I decided last year that along with my daily commute (1996 Cinder Cone in white) what I really wanted was a proper off-road machine. Out of the blue an ad went on the for sale section for a 1997 Explosif in my size. I was very surprised it didn't get any bites considering the price tag (£250 - check out the one that sold last week on ebay for over £400) and after a flurry of emails and a short wait, she arrived. She was 100% original except the saddle, grips and tyres.

001zoo.jpg

Last autumn I took her for a spin on the single track at Bedgebury forest. This was the first time I'd been off road in over 10 years and I had an absolute blast; I cycle everyday on the commute so I'm not unfit ;)
She was crazy quick and very nimble.

explosif1.jpg

After the ride I knew I had to make her perfect or as perfect as I could make her. As you can see the decals were tatty and it needed a little bit of TLC.

So since the spring I've been slowly getting her in shape. She's had the full strip down, service and mega-polish.

dsc00231fq.jpg

dsc00244jr.jpg

dsc00245ly.jpg

New BB, new CK headset, a couple of carefully removed and newly applied decals from Gil_M (if I'm being really picky the down-tube sticker isn't an exact replica, the N and A aren't right and the outline is too wide), new skewers, old flite (date stamped 96 if I recall, another ebay steal), scratch & sniff tyres and new grips have got me to this stage.

dsc00274nd.jpg

I'm at a slight pause to mask up and apply some laquer to the decals, before I complete the re-build including some nice new cables. I won't bother with Indy SL decals as I prefer them without. I'm aiming for completion this month so she's ready for a good thrashing in August and the remaining "summer" months.

Apologies for the poor picture quality, when she's built I'll get some proper shots with a full spec list. I won't lie when I say that I think the ovalised tubing is the nuts :cool:

Feedback good or bad is welcome!!

LOVE the gold... but then I would :cool:
54f0c5ac.jpg

Interesting your feedback on the decals.
When you say "carefull masking" to lacquer over the decals, does this mean you wont be going over the whole frame, just the decals? If so, what issues regarding blending the clear with the metallic?

Also, be carefull of the thinners in the lacquer, as it can damage the decals. What paint are you using? I used 2k, which has less thinners than 1k or acrylic, so it didnt attack the decals at all

G

By masking, I mean from the areas that have the original lacquer. Where the original decals had flaked was where for whatever reason the lacquer had worn or chipped away. I really don't want to lose the original paint because it's lush, so it's a careful job.

The decals from Gil_M are fine for this and the lacquer I've used before; simple Halford rattle can stuff. It'll only be a very fine couple of layers just to gently blend and protect these areas.

Ah, I see

Might be worth trying to get hold of some finer spray caps from either an art shop, or even a teen/yoof type shop that sells graffiti paint.

The ones that are standard on cans in halfords et al, are WAY too big for most applications, and pi$$ the paint out like a hosepipe... you end up wasting more than actually gets applied, especially on a small surface area of a frame!

G

Top tip - it's something I'm going to test first so I'll head to the model shop in town to see what they have.

Ask about the thinners in the paint as well.... dont want the decals to go all crinkled

G

Don't be sorry! It's been eating away at me ever siince I applied it earlier this week. Do I really want to have something 2nd rate on my unicorn bike? So, is there anyone out there that can help re-create the decal i'm after? I have enought shots and dimensions...

Maybe....
I am off work for a week, but if you can wait, I'll have a word when I get back and see what I can arrange

G

nice frame and almost original, which I like :D

the difference about the decals I only recognize at the second glimps, so not that bad.

is it just me, or does it seem that the yellow of the Indy fork looks lighter on the pics. than in real or is it the camera ?

Back