My first retro ride

Exeter Man

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker and admirer, first time poster.

Like many others before me, I have spent far too much time looking through the inspiring threads on this forum. I'm particularly keen on some of the 1990s Marins I've seen on here with their cool two-colour paint schemes. Desperate as I was to get myself a cool retro steed, I just couldn't justify it when I already have two bikes, and the missus has three, in a house with no space to keep more than about two!

I spied a nice original 1992 Palisades Trail on eBay reasonably local to me, and was watching it out of curiosity with no serious intent to buy it. The missus has just started a new job working away from home, and yesterday suggested it would be nice if I had a bike to use when I went to see her :D . I didn't need asking twice, and am now the proud owner of said Palisades Trail. Collected her tonight from a nice chap who was pleased to see her go to a good home, and had a blast around the precincts in Plymouth City Centre before heading home. Okay, she's not top of the range, but she's an enjoyable ride - better than my Spesh Hardrock Pro (parts about to be transferred to a Kinesis Decade Tange frame, but that's one for the 1997+ forum). Here's a picture as she looks now:

[Apparently I can't post URLs until I've got done at least one post, so see the next one below!]

All parts look to be original except for the tyres, and good overall condition for a 20 year old bike. In order to get her back to full slick operation, I think all I need to do is .........

-Strip, clean, re-grease.
-Replace the cables (more out of good practice than necessity).
-Replace any crunchy bearings.
-Stick on a set of knobblies (or is that nobblies?). I'm not a purest, so they won't be amber walls :shock: .
-Get her dirty!

There are also a few non-essential items I'd like to do, but nothing major ........

-Re-spray the bar ends.
-Replace the seat.
-Replace the pedals.

Can't wait to get in a few more miles. Unfortunately I won't have much time to work on her this week, so expect a proper update to follow in a week or two.

Regards

....... and here she is in all her glory:

Marin020712-1_1024.jpg

Regards

My first MTB as well, but back in the 90's. I've often thought of getting another.

I lived in London at the time and was so excited when I got it home, that I couldn't resist taking it out on the road. As I was cycling around some blokes in a white van pulled up alongside me, wound down the passenger window and called me a poser! A bit unkind I thought :LOL: . So make sure you stay offroad on it.

Had that on my ebay watch list and forgot all about it

Glad it's gone to a good home

Kirbdug :D

kirbdug":3oaja16y said:

The guy said he had 77 watchers, but I was the only person who actually bid on it in the end.

Regards

Hello and welcome to Retrobike.
Lovely looking old Marin. I've always had a soft spot for that colour combination.

Exeter Man":18ml8q6o said:
kirbdug":18ml8q6o said:

The guy said he had 77 watchers, but I was the only person who actually bid on it in the end.

Regards

And got it for a bargain price
Good luck with the re build

Back