Spooky Bandwagon build *FINISHED PHOTOS*

retrocomeback

Retro Guru
This project marks my return to mountain biking after just over a decade away. In the late 90's early 2000's I raced DH and rode trails, competing in NPS, SAMS and Pedalhounds events with reasonable success. That all came crashing down during the 2001 'off season' when I simply fell out of love with the sport after a personally owned Spooky Bandwagon was stolen. Being then in my early 20's still I reasoned (with heavy parental influence) I should probably commit time to getting a proper job, and get on with 'normal' life rather than spend every weekend and more criss crossing the country to various races.
bdf39fc8.jpg
Fast forward 10 odd years and the proper job is still going strong, I'm very happily married and also a very proud daddy to my nipper! However, after spending the last 6 months on a road bike (used to hate the things!) I realised the desire to ride a proper bike was still there and so I started casually scanning the net for a Spooky frame, happily I sourced one locally in structurally mint condition, save a few half arsed paint jobs. I've recently stripped the frame of paint so I can be 100% it's still solid and worth investing time and money in, happily this photo shows it is in perfect health.
b3d6d0b8.jpg
In terms of speccing the build, I've acquired some 90's Marzocchi Bomber Z1's courtesy of EarlOfBarnet

35db2e7c.jpg
, and elsewhere Squiffy is assisting me with the illusive rear disc mount. Braking is taken care of via some Hope C2's, bars and stem with a Tioga cube stem and matching riser bar, along with the obligatory 3 piece Profile cranks, single chainring, and sealed BMX bottom bracket. I'm intending to run 26" wheels and either an 8 or 9 speed setup but that will be in next months budget. In the mean time the frame (and possibly the forks) are shortly going to be treated to a brilliant white gloss finish by http://www.s-p-f.co.uk/, if anyones local to Southampton they do a bike frame acid dip, blast, prep, and powder coat for approx £40, and their work really is top drawer. I then have in the post an original Spooky Bandwagon complete decal kit to apply once she's painted up. Actually getting quite excited now all these parts are coming together, there is one sticking block though, the Hope HBRM165H No1 calliper mount, as I've already detailed in the wanted section http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208627&highlight= If anyone can help me with this I'd be eternally grateful? Anyhow, the build continues in the optimism this will be sourced!!! Stay tuned for further updates :D

hello there, nice spooky!! i also quit riding in about 2000 and started up again a couple of years ago :) brilliant stuff! if you are looking for a cheap/quality powder coater then check out wessex metal finishers in salisbury (i see youre from southampton so its just up the a36) wessex have done several of my frames and generally charge about £20-£30 depending on what colour, they also shot blast it too, give them a bell if youre interested: 01722 743835

oh but you would have to nitromorse the paint out of the bb shell etc as they dont do that bit!

good luck with the build!!! :cool:

Cheers for the info fella, always good to know a recommended firm for these things! Will be sure to keep you updated on the build as it progresses :D

After a frankly awful (but final) early shift today spent getting soaked through I let patience get the better of me, and rather than wait for the forks to arrive I trotted on down to the aforementioned powder coating firm to get work started on the frame. By this time Friday I should hopefully have in my possession a fresh glossy white Spooky Bandwagon frame! Also on my arrival home the postie has kindly delivered a set of Profile cranks I sourced off eBay, as listed they've seen better days so will be stripped and re chromed in due course.

Hehe, I had my eyes on those bombers for the missus' Kona. Glad they went to a good home. Looking forward to see what you end up with, as i've got a sneaky feeling I'll have a Spooky myself one day.

Thanks for the interest guys, if you can keep your eyes out for a Hope HBRM165H C2 mount as picture here
64c08f9c.jpg
then you'll have a new best friend for life! ;)

Excuse the ignorance, but can you not get something similar knocked up by a local engineering firm for a fraction of the cost? I only ask because on my old Marin B17 I needed a specific Hope adaptor and a few people on here offered to make one for me so I imagine that a few people could do similar for adapting the frame for those Hopes?

I figure with at least another 8 weeks before the bike will be built up I can go on hunting for the original spec mount a little longer, I have spoken to a number of engineering firms near me but all seem very reluctant to take on such a small scale job of only a few mounts, besides which I have yet to obtain the mounts dimensions that I would obviously need to provide. If anyone on here works for a firm that could produce one (and a few spare) please speak up! ;)

Mount

There was a guy on Ebay used to do this sort of thing. He made me up one for an Amp, have a browse, maybe still offering adapters?

Back