It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:14 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:44 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

mamadirt wrote:
Wow that's great :P

My first MTB was a Diamondback - nothing like that though - just a basic 1992 Camarillo but it was the one that started it all and I'd love to find another for that reason alone.

Love the forks. Switchblades? 8)

hi
they look like some variation of a switchblade. they were the initial reason i went to look at the bike in the first place. i love forks. :oops:
thought it might be a good parts bike. but when i saw it i knew there was no way i was going to part out this beauty. keep it exactly as is.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:30 am 
Retro Guru

Nice pick up Roy. Those rims are specifically made for Trek bikes back in 1991 and 1992. I had them on my 8700. I have not seen a DB in Suntour before. All of them are usually DX or XT spec. Its quite unusual to see Suntour. My friend has a DB of the same era and I just tuned it up for him. Hope this helps!

Lousy weather this weekend for a bike ride....hopefully it gets nicer tomorrow or Monday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Lovely bike, never heard of AXIS Le before though.

As posted above, the Matrix rims are a Trek OEM product, likewise the XC Pro mech & levers do not tie in with the lower level XCM cantis or levers. I'd be inclined to believe that it has been built up going from those oddities & I cant ever recall Suntour being specced on a DB. Likewise the X-1 chainset is just not anywhere near matching spec of the frame model.

I will add it looks a beauty though. Maybe bring the brakes & levers upto spec & keep it Suntour + ditch the saddle & replace with an Avenir item mounted at a proper angle.

NICE BIKE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:29 am 
Retro Guru

I saw that on CL the other day and thought it wouldn't stay for sale very long! Weird spec but in great condition. I had a '91 Axis (I think) BITD and I'm fairly sure it had True Temper tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I'm pretty sure this was built up, but I have seen another DB with Suntour parts, on ebay not so long ago. There is also a 91 Axis frame on ebay now, similar paint job, true temper OX. It's a shame it looks like the rot has set in
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamond-Back-True-Temper-OX-Steel-Retro-Mountain-Bike-Frame-17-26-Wheel-Tourer-/321000727854?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4abd22652e

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:58 am 
Dirt Disciple

Revive...

I had the exact same bike but stock fork, Tange frame set, but with a full Deore DX groupo and Mavic rims in Canada. I'm pretty sure I bought it in 1990 or1991.