CONEJO AP/5

Benzosol

Devout Dirtbag
Wanted to share a pic of my CONEJO AP/5. I have the following build on this bike. Shifters XT, Ringle stem, Manitou Fork, Ringle Seatpost, XTR hubs laced to Mavic Profil hoops, Paul early generation Moto type rear brake, XT front brake, Kooka Cranks with Titanium BB and Titec saddle. Bike rides nicely as a XC bike. I haven't seen another of AP/5 on Retrobike. Seems this company wasn't around too long.

Benjamin

Attachments

• CONEJO.jpg
    CONEJO.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 770
wow, i haven't seen them in a while! they were imported into Australia, low numbers, so used to see them around sometimes, BITD.

great build! nice clean period example

CONEJO History

CONEJO Mountain bike history according to the blog http://backboneracing.blogspot.com: Not sure of its accuracy.
Conejo Bicycles was started by the two sons of legendary off road truck racer Larry Ragland in Tempe, AZ. The first really well made full suspension bike, the Conejo AP/5 was used by just about everyone as their "Factory" DH frame.
The Raglands' sold the company later to a machinist who promptly ran the bike end of things into the bone orchard. The bikes had 4.5" of travel, and sported a beer-keg-thick Fox Alps 4R rear shock, mated to an Easton Varilite ProGram aluminum tubeset. Amazing bike for it's time, and with the advent of stable-platform shocks, would be a great bike even today. The rear swingarm was an elevated chainstay layout that was welded up at Titus!

Back