Marin Muirwoods budget build

SIMONFREESE

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After initially deciding not to do a build thread on this, I have changed my mind!

IMG01058-20120617-1417.jpg

IMG01059-20120617-1417.jpg

Marin Muirwoods, with what appear to be resprayed forks, assume they are original. This is going to be a single speed commuting machine, so will be keeping as simple and cheap as possible. I have some wheels lined up for the weekend, which will take me a small step closer.

I will not be going for originality on this one, parts will be based on price, I would like something functional that I can use and not worry about. So far I have seat post and clamp, and have lined up some later Marin riser bars and tektro V's.

So, in short, this won't be a very exciting build, but it will be a very useful bike for me as I only have two road bikes at the moment, and have quickly realised that you need MTB!

I have one question at this stage:

I need a stem, and don't know where to start as it is a quill. Any suggestions?

I expect that this build will take two to three months, so hopefully at some stage you will be able to scroll down and see the finished article!

It would be great if anyone else has Muirwoods photos and can add them on to this thread, they would be very useful!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the advice, very useful. Will have a look at the bars...

I would be lost without the help I get on here :)

Edit: just had a look at the zoom stem , I like that a lot, will have to get one of those!

It's the same old thing, start off with the idea of throwing something together, then all these lovely components come along!

Will have to do some thinking / saving, this could turn out nice than I thought... :D

Just checked the bars, they are 25.4 which is good, and low riser so hopefully won't be too modern looking. They are shiny and would match well with the zoom stem.

Thanks for the input, it is really helping me get some direction!

SIMONFREESE":282hw6pi said:
Just checked the bars, they are 25.4 which is good, and low riser so hopefully won't be too modern looking. They are shiny and would match well with the zoom stem.
Just be wary if you go for a Zoom stem, you'll have to accomodate a canti hanger if using cantis (forget this if going for Vs), whereas the T-Bone stems tend to either include a hanger or have on integral to the stem.

Thanks, brakes are V so should be ok hopefully. I need funds before this one goes any further so maybe something else will crop up in the mean time...

whayne was kind enough to drop the wheels round tonight, they are weinmann rims and shimano hubs, look nice and tough and should do the job. Will fit them to the frame at the weekend to give me an idea of size and make me feel like this will one day resemble a bike!

This is the stage where I get impatient and wish I had everything to hand to get finished, I guess part of the fun of having a bike to build up is having something to look forward to, and with my budget the waiting is certainly a big part of it!

Thanks for the wheels Whayne!

Back