Alpinestars ASR120 - 1996?

Chopper the ex Copper

Alpinestars Fan
Here's my £50 Alpinestars.

Paint was marked, but not irredemably so. If anyone has a similar bike then Peugeot Diablo red is an almost exact match ;)

Shorter stem and riser bars fitted as the stretch is too much for my dicky neck. A repaint and decals give the bars a look similar to OE to not detract from the look.

Nacked Acera chainset was upgraded to a NOS Alivio, which is the same age and visually very similar.

Headset was OK, but is a crap piece of design if ever there was, with tiny bearings so was chucked in the bin for an FSA fat bastid headset with big man-O brarings that will cope with my weight.

Gripshifters were on deaths door, so we discarded for period Alivo levers and shifters.

SPuDs fitted cos all my other bikes have them, and I ain't fitting flats just to have to buy a pair of flattie shoes!

Front mech was stripped and repainted, and a NOS Ugly Dog seat fitted. Everything else has been stripped, cleaned, polished or tensioned to make it run like new and maintain the bikes original patina.

Just need a chain and some cables, and refit the rear cantis, and I have a nice, light and lively cromo Alpinestars for dry weather hijinks and occasional commuting.

People can pay a bit OTT I think for these rigid Alpinestars bikes, but including the purchase price and raiding my Box o' Shite (tm Chopper Industries, 2012) mean this smart, clean, rebuilt bike owes me less than £75 all in.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSCF0749.JPG
    DSCF0749.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 956
Bargainlicious! I've got one of those too!

But you're way ahead - mine has no parts fitted at all :D

Cables and chain fitted, and even on the nasty tyres from my Box O Shite weighs a touch under 22lb. It's light, stiff and lively to ride.

I'd forgotten how nice a tidy steel frame felt to ride and this old bus has been clocking up some noteworthy miles. So much so that it's soon to sprout mudguards, carrier, Cityjets and lights so I can use it for commuting duties.

What's better than a Retrobike? A Retrobike that earns its keep.

Back