93 Clockwork Ripe & Ready 30/03/13

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok so its gotta start somewhere, and here it is, Welcome to my 1993 Clockwork. It's tired and battle scarred but not beyond saving and bringing back to ripeness. The serial A305**** indicates a May 1993 frame, which in good ole traditional Orange fashion meant this probably hit the shop floor late 1993/94. The Satin Black paint is tired and the decals very worn, but its straight as an arrow and threads are good on BB and drop out. No dents, just wear tear and some tarnishing and surface rust starting to appear.

The plans, well later on this week it will be dropped off at 'Fabricoat' for strip and Powdercoated in Satin Black. This is the company who did my 1994 C16R and 'In my opinion' did a very good job.

Fresh period Decals from gil_m will dress the frame.

The Pace RC35's have come off my C16R and been replaced with Manitou 3's. This leaves the RC35's for my Clockwork. I've got some NOS Black STX-RC Cantis which will go on and also some NOS XT Canti Levers and Shifters put aside for this build. These will be mounted on some HotRods and secured onto the bike via a nice bling SK8 stem.

Not sure on the wheels just yet, got some Mavic's on STX-RC hubs as a make-do these will be clad in some minty fresh IRC Mythos. XT Rear & Front Mech will maybe go on, not sure at moment but keeping my eyes open for other options.

Anyway here it is, Fresh out the box it was delivered in.

Updates to follow :cool:

Attachments

• Jussa93Clockwork.jpg
    Jussa93Clockwork.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,022
Ok, so after recovering from getting married last weekend normality resumes to the household, and a phonecall from 'Fabricoat' powder coaters and sprayers confirms my 93 Clockwork is ready for collection.

The finish is great, 'Satin Black' so not glossy like some i've seen, i didnt want it to look too shiny. The blasting removed the surface rust despite the condition upon arrival it really has got its ripeness back :D

I've got a 'Tange Infinity' decal for the seat tube, and the period correct graphics will come from Gil_m as per the norm.

Still unsure on the build and groupset, but it will be Cantilever (XT Lever/Shifter Combos) with a choice of NOS STX RC Cantis in Black or some black LX Cantis, both look very similar if not the same.

Ive got a nice XT739 Rear mech, but no front mech in mind just yet (Any ideas more than welcome)

The rest will just be a case of 'Suck It And See' :p

Attachments

• Clockwork Resto3.JPG
    Clockwork Resto3.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 1,874
  • Clockwork Resto1.JPG
    Clockwork Resto1.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,874
They've done an ace job on that frame, Jussa :cool: :D

Groupset? Full XT M737 if you want period correctness....

Not sure on a mix of STX/lx/ with a 1995 rear mech?

Should be a corker, though!

Cheers,

Matty :D

Looks good.

I'm assuming it was the powdercoaters who cleaned the BB shell, seat tube and head tube, then stopped them all up to powder coat. If so, I'm very impressed at their attention to detail.

Dossa":3r9uocpo said:
They've done an ace job on that frame, Jussa :cool: :D

Groupset? Full XT M737 if you want period correctness....

Not sure on a mix of STX/lx/ with a 1995 rear mech?

Should be a corker, though!

Cheers,

Matty :D

Cheers Matty, may have to do some saving for some XT M737, my man cave is full of STX RC, some XT739 and some odd LX parts. Mind you i said it was gonna be a slow burner this one. ;)

NeilM":1xmmypne said:
Looks good.

I'm assuming it was the powdercoaters who cleaned the BB shell, seat tube and head tube, then stopped them all up to powder coat. If so, I'm very impressed at their attention to detail.

It was the same Powder coaters who did my Grey 1994 C16R, very impressed, he does motorbikes from classics to race bikes, so knows his stuff. They have loadsa rubber bungs and i blanked off the bottle cage mounts with old bolts needless to say they came black nice and black lol :D £40 Well spent in my book.

The finish is spot on, its an almost Matt Satin Black. I wanted to retain the authentic feel and look to the bike.

Now it looks like i need to save and hunt some XT M737 parts down :)

Back