Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:50 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 pm 

New to the forums but after reading things on here for the last couple of weeks decided I might as well get involved and get myself a project bike!

Not am I only new to the forums I am also new to building up bikes, other than the maintenance one does as a child and what you pick up from watching Dad work on bikes I don't know much so any advice on things is very appreciated :)

So here is my new buy not really sure if it was a good deal or not but I guess this is the way things are!

So what do I have from what I gather from the serial number on the bottom its a June 1996 Orange. What type though I'm not 100% sure of these things but is it good if a magnet sticks? Maybe?

Anyway so alot of work ahead of me on this one I believe and only free time in the weekends.

First plan of attack for it is to replace a bent steerer on the RC36 forks and obtain a new headset for it. Looks like I have a bit of research ahead of me on how to do this. :)

Attachments:
    20120618_212508 (Medium).jpg
    20120618_212508 (Medium).jpg [ 285.22 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]
    20120618_211949 (Medium).jpg
    20120618_211949 (Medium).jpg [ 169.08 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

Last edited by brettimus on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:09 am 
    eBay Outing Master

Are the bottle bosses a diamond shape? Also my eyes are as dodgy as your camera :lol:

Is it a silver matt paint or as it looks like a shiny almost chrome type of finish

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 am 

Yes sir the bottle mounts are diamonds, and it's a shiney silver, camera phone snaps don't do it any justice!

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:17 am 
    retrobike rider
    retrobike rider

Location: Lurking in the bushes at the bottom of your mums garden....
    Saw this on ebay, you bought yourself a P7. You'll love it :D

It looks to me in the second pic that the fork crown is twisted, or is it a trick of the light?

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 am 

I think it's just some camera magic :D

Actually it probably has to do with the steerer tube being bent and that there is no headset in there. Just sitting the forks in place so I don't get the carpet all dirty with grease.

Pretty stoked with what I have was pretty excited when it arrived last night.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 am 
    retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Thats a sweet ride, whilst i havnt dabbled with P7's i do have a large bowl of Oranges in my Man Cave, currently 2 x C16R's and 1 x C16Rs, and 1 x Clockwork (Inbound).

Graphics can be sourced from gil_m hes well known in these parts for top quality graphics.

'justbackdated' or real name Tim from 'Fork English' is our resident PACE expert, need a new steerer contact him and he will sort you out.

The rest well its up to you, abundance of parts around so should be a good build. keep us all informed and loadsa pics always goes down well :D

Here is something to wet you appetite, my C16R's one in Original Spec and the other with a RetroModern take on it :)

Welcome and Enjoy :)

Attachments:
    jussa_orange_c16r_pic1_190.jpg
    jussa_orange_c16r_pic1_190.jpg [ 106.49 KiB | Viewed 360 times ]
    c16rpace1_132.jpg
    c16rpace1_132.jpg [ 107.36 KiB | Viewed 360 times ]

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:26 am 

Thanks Jussa!

Cheers for the info on the steerer will drop him a message later today hopefully. I did notice that Pace actually still have replacement steerers as well so either way don't think I will be lost for a replacement.

I had worked out gil_m was the man to contact just have to work out how I am going to clean up the frame before I get decal crazy haha

I think mine will end up more retro modern like your second one there, that's a nice bike!

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 am 

Whoops double post!

Might as well use it does anyone have any suggestions of headset I should use?

Last edited by brettimus on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:30 am 

brettimus wrote:
    Thanks Jussa!

Cheers for the info on the steerer will drop him a message later today hopefully. I did notice that Pace actually still have replacement steerers as well so either way don't think I will be lost for a replacement.

I had worked out gil_m was the man to contact just have to work out how I am going to clean up the frame before I get decal crazy haha

I think mine will end up more retro modern like your second one there, that's a nice bike!

Thumbs up for Retro Modern :D and thanks for the compliments, just make sure you keep us updated on how its progressing :D