Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:30 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: My GT Psyclone ...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:33 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Now, I know this is a '99 frame, and doesn't fit awfully well in the -> 1997 category, but c'mon it's a Psyclone... :lol:

So, Part 1 - The Early Years

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... in fact, back in 2000 I was in the market for a new frame. I didn't know what I wanted apart from I knew that i didn't want aluminium and I quite fancied a top end steel frame.

At that point I'd had a 92 GT Timberline, which I basically ridden to the point of destruction, and graduated onto a 94 Orange Clockwork (which I still have). Anyway, after going into Mud Dock in Bristol and being told that no one made steel frames anymore, I wondered around the corner to Bike Tech and got chatting. Next thing I know, the guy pulls a Psyclone frame from the back room....and that was it. Deposit paid, and I ended up with a pimpy pearl white 1999 Reynolds 853 Psyclone for £450, when it should have been £750.

The serial number is 99P009.

Si's Psyclone Frame by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

When I was choosing my Timberline back in 92, I always perved up the earlier yellow True Temper model in the catalogue. So finally getting my hands on an actual Psyclone of my own was a right result. Not sure if it was the skinny tubes or what, but I just always wanted one.

Next step was building it up. On went a Chris King headset, Pace RC45 100mm stem and RC36 Evo 3's, along with a Hope XC4 on a Hope Bulb. All of which are still on the bike - apart from the forks. I got that lot from Avon Valley Cycles in Bath, and I was planning to save some cash by scrimping on the headset and stem, but clearly that plan went out of the window...

I know I added a Roox Carbon 1" Flat Riser, Gore Tex cables, Hope Ti Skewers, and then completed the build with mostly XT and a few bits nicked off my Clockwork - Hope Ti-Glide, Flite etc.

I can't find many good pictures of the original build, but this is the back end with the first chain set on it. The photo must have been a touch later as i'd changed the rear mech from XT to XTR, and the solid black (ugly) Deore V's to XT's.

rear end by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

This one is worth including, simply for the horrific wallpaper. In my defence, I rented that flat ! Nice TV huh...

Si's Psyclone by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

Straight from the word go, I got on and raced it... this was the Karrimor Enduro 6, maybe 2001 ? Still got the Pace Evo 3 and Deore V's on the rear

Enduro6 by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

Even took it to Moab in it's original spec. Think this was 2002...

slick1 by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

Straight from the first ride, the bike felt pretty light and very quick. I remember thinking that the steering was really quick compared to my Clockwork. One thing the bugged my though was the Pace fork. It just didn't feel right. Too much travel for the frame, so I swapped it out for an RC38 Airforce 2 and the bike just came alive. The reduced travel, lower front end, lockout and reduced weight was amazing.

And to be frank, it just looked about 10 times better with that fork on it!

Si's Psyclone3 by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

With it being my main bike, it got used all the time. I've raced Mayhem on it a load times (including last year), I finished 7th in the pairs at Sleepless In The Saddle years back on it, it's been to Moab and taken me around Slickrock, it's been to Spain, it's been all over he UK. Don't get me wrong, its been well looked after, but it's been ridden hard.

Here it is post Mayhem (not sure which year, maybe 2003 or 2004?), now with a USE Alien Ti fitted ...

Untitled by SiPsyclone, on Flickr

I'll get around to doing Part 2 soon (the Wifes telling me that dinners ready).... that should cover off the bike being nicked, the destruction of the RC38 and some changes that i've made over the years...

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:07 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Enjoying this Si, love reading about bikes that have a history. Glad to hear you've put those X-Lite bars to good use!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:08 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Excellent history on your Psyclone there Si 8)

You look so young ...... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Yeah I know.... scary isn't it !! Was thinner then as well !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:18 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

raidan73 wrote:
Enjoying this Si, love reading about bikes that have a history. Glad to hear you've put those X-Lite bars to good use!

Thanks Chap. Those bars are certainly being put to good use... will get some pics up ASAP :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 pm 

I think we all were, Your thinner on top now if that helps..... I'l get me hat....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:37 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Great story mate.Nice to see a bike get upgrades rather than dumped in favour of newer model.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:50 am 
Old School Grand Master

Damn classy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Great bike si, love it in this spec,

Looking forward to part 2!!!

Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am 
Retro Guru

Great write up, waiting for the next instalment ;)

I had a Karakoram inferno bitd, sold it to a mate and have just sent him a text on the off chance that its gathering dust in his garage and I can buy it back......and its all your fault :lol: :D