1988/89 Raleigh Chinook

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I picked this up for a nice chap in Leicester on Thursday having bought it on ebay a month earlier :D
Its lost its downtube decals at some point so they will need replacing.
Driveside crankarm was loose and i feared the worst, but it was just loose :D
Rear Exage trail mech needs replacing if anybody has one lying about ;)

So far i've partially cleaned her and T-cut some of the paint to remove most of the marks.
I'd like to get outside to give her a proper wash but at the moment its lashing down.
I've changed the saddle and the knackered original tyres.
I'm going to replace all the inner cables because they are about 24 years old and trim the outers while i'm at it as a couple of them are ridiculously long.
I really want to fit a zero rise stem but i'm going to resist the erge for the moment ;)

Attachments

• Chinook1.jpg
    Chinook1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,805
  • Chinook2.jpg
    Chinook2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,805
  • Chinook3.jpg
    Chinook3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,805
  • Chinook4.jpg
    Chinook4.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,810

Popped put for a ride on the old girl today :D
I really need to sort the cables out but i can't find the right ferrules locally?
The frame has no guides to speak of just very short round eyelets.
Think the original ferrules must have had a shoulder on them the correct diametre to fit into the eyelets.
Anybody know where i can get some?? :?

My first mtb. It was too big for me and you're right about the 'lightweight' :LOL: But I have so many great memories from BITD that i'll always have a soft spot for the trusty Chinook :D

Lighter than a Mustang though. Think those are roadie cable guides, seen them on a few old frames now.

Carl.

I'll have you know that in 1989 she was next to the top of the range pipped only by the Avanti :D :D
There is a 1989 catalogue in the archieve ;)

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2rtd2rql said:
I'll have you know that in 1989 she was next to the top of the range pipped only by the Avanti :D :D
There is a 1989 catalogue in the archieve ;)

I think the Appalachian and Ozark would've been between the Avanti and the Chinook?

Latest posts

Back