Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:16 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 pm 
Dirt Disciple

After being on the search for a '92/'93 GT Avalance/Timberline for some time I have been given a '92 Marin Palisides Trail from a girl at work.

The bike belonged to her girlfriend who has owned the bike from new & at the time was a fitness trainer & treat the bike like her baby, needless to say the bike appears to be in quite good condition, there is the odd mark here and there but has spent most of the last 10years being moved from various sheds/horse stables/garage as it wasn't being used.

To say that I'm like a pig in something is an understatement :D . The bike was brought into work tonight & so far I've managed a quick 10min break to have a ride around the car park and everything works, gears quick & smooth, brakes work well but need a little adjustment and some air is needed in the tyres, other than that its ready to roll 8)

Frame - 14" Cromo Frame
Fork - Rockstar Cromo
Brakes - Shimano 200GS Leavers
Chainset - 300LX
Rear Mech - 300LX
Front Mech - 300LX
Tyres - Marin ProCombo 26x2.00

Full Spec

Last edited by matt@theforce on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Tell that story when you sell the seat :wink: Hahaha

But less of that! Bike looks in incredible condition, love the lairy colours, planning to keep it original?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 am 
Dirt Disciple

Raleighracer wrote:
Tell that story when you sell the seat :wink: Hahaha

But less of that! Bike looks in incredible condition, love the lairy colours, planning to keep it original?

lol

For now I intend the give it a clean/change the seat/change to slick tyres & fit some mudguards and use it for occaisional commuting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 am 
Retro Guru

My first bike, identical except that mine cane supplied new with 500lx chainset (which I still have on another bike!)

Seat was first to go, replaced with flite ti; ended up mostly dx/Xt, black pace bars, onzas, zoom stem, mavic wheels etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:05 am 
Dirt Disciple

So far I've given it a bit of a clean and replaced the aging brakes which never seemed to work properly (old pads)

Whilst looking around for new pads decided to replace all the braking system with some v-brakes (not to everyones taste but I prefer them) so these were bought and some new new cables were ordered too

Whilst on ebay I purchased a replacement stem which had the top bung that I didn't have on this bike (its the little things that make the difference)

And as the handlebar grips had torn & been taped up with black insulation tape I ordered some new grips
Again, not to everyones taste but I quite like them & they're quite a good match.

Have a few more bits to sort out, The bars/forks rock a little under braking and the chain has started jumping in higher gears. Once all that is sorted I might start enquiring about getting the frame/forks stripped and re-painted (Trying to keep the same colour scheme)

Matthew