1994 Kona Lava Dome - A Modern Classic?

dvatcmark

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I thought it was about time I posted up one of my bikes, so here it is my 1994 Lava Dome. I know this won't be to everybodys tastes due to the modern parts.

20120612_160515.jpg

Here's the deatils of the build so far

Frame - 94 Lava Dome
Fork - 2005 Reba @ 80mm
Headset - Cane Creeks S3
Stem - Raceface Evolve XC
Bar - Raceface Evolve XC
Seatpost - Raceface Next SL
Seat - Charge Spoon
Brakes - Shimano XT 765
Chainset - Raceface Evolve XC
Shifters - Deore
Front mech - STX (only original part left!)
Rear mech - XT
Wheels - Hope XC Hubs, Stans Olymipic Rims
Tyres - Maxxis Crossmark running tubeless.

I know the rear mech looks horrible on the frame, this is something I'll change soon, just not sure what to yet.

My only other idea is to respray the Rebas in the same colour as a 95 Judy XC and make up some replica decals but saying Reba rather than Judy. Just not sure if the black crown will suit this, I'v got a spare set of lowers so might just have a go anyhow.

My reason for mondenising the frame is mainly out of interest as I was interested to see how well the old Konas would ride with a good fork and brakes that actually work well and reliabily!

I have run this frame with P2s, Judys, cantis, Vs in all kinds of combinations and on one hand prefer it as it's in keeping with the frames age, but on the other hand don't like it as mich as its no where near as quick off road comared to how it is now. So for the time being its staying like this.

Thoughts / comment?

If it had modern kona stickers you'd mistake it for a new model!!! looks fantasic and is just the sort of thing I'm going to build when I've got the space/money.

How's it compare to a modern steel xc bike?

I would suggest either the grey or slver deore lx/xt or xtr rear mech to look a little more classic maybe?

Also what's the weight like compared to a modern one?

i like it!....nothing looks out of place, its your bike, so long as your enjoying your riding on it then get stuck in i say!........in 5 billion years we will all be part of a red dwarf, i would rather look at your interpretation of a useful bike than a period correct build that doesnt get muddy from time to time.....regarding parts that need changing?....i'd stick some valve caps on it!.... :D .....enjoy!....

Very nice !!

I have the same bike in period kit and is used regular but not off road.. You can modernise most old bikes but some just don't look comfy in new kit the kona's do though :)

Col :)

Now that is bl**dy lovely! :cool:

As finishing touches, if it were mine, I'd add green ano chainring bolts, jockey wheels and front skewer...

...and maybe green lock on grips (black grip/green collars)? ;)

Oh, and a green top cap for the stem :cool:

I've got the same frame in blue sat under my desk at the mo- needs some work on the left canti boss.

I think i know what i'm gonna do with it now- that looks ace.

:LOL: Funnily enough I have a Cinder Cone frame awaiting a trip to the coaters' and a NOS green Flite...

...likewise ;)

I really like it, we all know its not a consensual build, but this only shows how kona frames age beautifully! congrats ;D

I don't see any issue about the parts being modern, it's just that they're black and this frame colour needs silver parts. This is the case with many Konas of that time. They were designed to look good with silver parts, not black, so it's no surprise that some of them don't look right with black.

Dynamically there's no problem with running an 80mm fork and a Reba is a very good fork, but Konas need to have sharp steering. To steer well with the longer fork, it needs the stem to be no more than 100mm. Also I would sweep the bars back more.

Back