1997 GT Avalanche (NEW)

Druid

Dirt Disciple
I mentioned in the Road Bikes Forum that I had this. Did not have time to fit the seat post so it looks a little lost.

I bought this in 1997. The plan was that after a crash in a road race and some time off I was to get back into cycling in '98. Bought a new Giant road bike and the GT. It only took 14 years but I did finally get back on the road bike. The GT however, is new. Total miles: 35. As much as I never got to use them I still loved them so they were well stored.

GT 7005 Alloy Frame. Deore LX / XT mixture group. Marzochi Bombers. Kore Stem:

Good question!

My Giant road bike was not used for the same period but in the last month alone I've put in close on 1,000 miles so I know it will finally get the use it deserves. But even if I were to use the GT I'd never do it justice. I am a roadie and only bought it to give myself a break from the racing miles back when I was clocking them up. I am back on the road now, did a duathlon with the Giant and met up with a local club lately too. I plan on doing a mountain sportive in the next few weeks so I really feel alive again. I'm home at last and don't cry on Sundays when I pass lads out on bikes while I drive to some family dinner (love my family but you know what I mean). The GT however would only serve to bring me to work on days when I'm not running or to be a machine to hack about on. On the other hand, I'd be gutted if I had to split it being as original as it is and as I am in Ireland where I expect there's much less market for a bike like this here so I have no idea what it would sell for or to whom.

Short answer...I'd love to use it but doubt it will happen. I can't bring myself to split it. I don't know where I'd sell it here.

NICE BIKE.

THATS OBVIOUSLY A VERY CLEAN BIKE,I CANT BELIEVE IT AFTER ALL THESE YEARS,YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MAY START RIDING IT AGAIN,I AM SURE YOU WOULDNT HAVE MUCH TROUBLE SELLING IT,BECAUSE OF THE CONDITION ETC,BUT HOW MUCH IS THE QUESTION,WHAT DO YOU VALUE IT AT,AS LONG AS YOUR HAPPY AT THE END OF THE DAY,ANYWAY NICE BIKE,IT WOULD BE A SHAME TO SPLIT IT,ALL THE BEST AND THE REST,AL.. ;)

Yup! Thanks, and yes it really is that clean. The three bikes were all stored in a dry shed under covers and were taken out every so often to dust down and inspect just to be sure they were stored right. They may have been unused but they were never unloved. My Giant Peloton here is just as clean. At least the frame is, the brake leaver and rear mech scars were received while mounted on a different frame.

This will sound as though I am fishing, becuase I am, but ultimately I know I'll sell the GT though I genuinely have no idea what it's worth. I'll have to sell it because I need the money to replace stuff in my cycling closet that will be used now that I am back on the road bike. My helmet for example is 14 years old and I just don't trust its going to save my noggin if I land on it. My bibshorts have things living in them :shock:.

Hi bunner, yep I am interested in selling. Not 101% on the frame size but I am 99% sure that it's a 17". Medium is probably the easiest way to guage it. I'm 5'11" so average height. I bought it new to fit me.

As for price, I just need to check what postage from Ireland would be but I'm half afraid to say a figure out loud in case I either have the whole forum falling about laughing at my delusions or on the flip side, in case I give it away.

Getting back in touch with some contacts I had from when I raced I have sent details to a few guys here in Ireland. Although people have said "in an ideal world it would make X" or "for a quick sale I'll take it for Y" without either being a dreamer nor giving it away a realistic figure equalling between £500 & £550 has come back from a few of them.

EDIT: Never intended this to be a "for sale" post. Now that the conversatoin has gone that way if admin feel it should be moved I understand.

Back