Finished - Roberts Mystery Bike

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
It is a 1990 bike, it is probably a Roberts and it may be a White Spider, but whatever it is, I have just finished building it.

Apart from the Gripshift shifters, Avid SD7 V brakes, Charge Spoon saddle, grips, chain and cables, it is entirely built from s/h bits, most of which came from the RB clasifieds, thanks to all, you know who you are.

Paul, the previous owner had Bob Jackson do the respray, they also removed a canti bridge from the back, and I have to say, the colour is just my style.

Pedals are on their way (from the bay), I do have some Time Alium's I could slap on, but as the theme has been to keep things light, I think I'll wait a few days for the pedals and for the rain to stop.

I'll report back once I have ridden it, but for now, here's a couple of pics.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

oooowww nice one, I considered that one for a while but wanted the cantis mounts

Looks great, got to be worth bringing Saturday?

I'm not sure if I want to risk an untried bike on Saturday, rather than the trusty Zaskar. I'll see how it rides this week.

I'm please with the way it's turned out, especially as I'm not good at waiting for 'the right part'. The most difficult things to find were the 3 X 9 Gripshifts. In the end I got some bargain Attack shifters from Germany.

I would have liked some bar ends as well, but a nice pair of straight titanium X-Lite bars turned up at the right moment and well, you can't say no, can you?

Yes; Chas Roberts is a custom frame builder based in Surrey. He is one of a handful of frame builders who really pushed the design of race geometry for mountain bikes forward in the early to middle 90's, along with Dave Lloyd, Dave Yates, and many others.

Do a search on this forum for 'Roberts', and all will be revealed

Nice one Neil, looks amazing!
That colour is superb.

I'm waiting to hear from colour-tech as to when my Genesis is ready. Can't wait to get that one going.

Back