1994-5 EWR Original Woods

utahdog2003

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Single speed set-up. Cranks and Profile stem original to the first build. I've owned this bike since new...had to have one after running into Jay at interbike Philly in '94 and he was carrying one around on his shoulder. Frame spent a bit of time with a friend and now she's home. The little sticker on the top tube says "100% Trek Free", a little Interbike freebee passed out that year by the guys in the Jamis booth.

You astute fellas will note the chain tensioner and horizontal drop-outs and and will wonder what-ho...The reason's a secret!

Great site everybody! I love seeing all the great rides from back in my shop days getting the respect they truly deserve! Of course, now I know why prices of my favorite parts are through the roof! Folks on this site may just be their own worst enemy when it comes to finding deals...too much publicity!

Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 3,004
Guess I should have used this thingie from the sticky, yes?

Frame - EWR Original Woods, Large, original white "Fresh Frames Grad AA" paint
Fork - Kone P2-II
Headset - King gold
Stem - Profile BOA 135mm 10deg (alt. Syncros Cattlehead in the case)
Bar - Race Face Diabolus
Levers - XTR
Grips - Oury red
Brakes - Avid SD ti (Tri-Aligns were too nice for Florida mud!)
XTR cables
Post - RF Diabolus (alt. IRD 2 bolt in the case)
Saddle - SDG Red Kevlar
Cranks - RF Turbines in red
Rings - Syncros 32 middle, QBP Fairy Ring, no inner, red bolts
Pedals - DX-656 clipless (off in the pic being scrubbed like a baby's bottom!)
BB - UN-71, original to the build
Rims - Sun Rhyno Lites
Hubs - Deore DX, Surly conversion
QRs, Deore DX
Profile Kage
Third Eye chainwatcher
Misc Red annodized goodies
no derailleurs!
VooDoo sticker on the seat tube, because I am a dork.

Attachments

• IM002888.JPG
    IM002888.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,986
Very nice. I love the EWR framesets. A bit "after my time" but there's something about the design I really like. The new proto's on MTBR look cool

Were they horiszontal drop outs from the factory?

http://www.ewrbikes.com/

Started mid 90's or so I think, disappeared, and in the process of being resurrected. Like a lot of the Canadian bikes (not that they are Canadian, but a bit similar in ethos) , they suit "real" (e.g. not made trail / bike park) UK conditions due to clearances, BB height etc.

And I agree, it's nice to see something different.

Florida trails are varied between very sandy pine uplands and very wet roots and cypress knees. You learn to develop excellent bike handling skills! I was attracted to my EWR as a replacement for a Cannondale Beast of the East that I had sold earlier.

Long story short, EWRs were made for tight twisty technical trails, very muck friendly for such short chainstays, and the BB height is key to a good woods design in my eyes. Straigh Guage 4130 tubeset means you can drive over the thing without hurting it, and in Jay's words, the top tube design allows for "More Ball-Room to dance!"

The horizontal drops were standard on the early Woods, later frames had breeze type drops.

Thanks for the good words.

Those with a good eye will recognize the dropouts as the custom water jet dropouts that were used on the Grove Hardcore and X...the move to the KGB's (aka Breezers) were because the flat dropouts required fillet brazing and the Breezers could just be Tig'd on, ie cheaper.

I know why the tensioner ;)

cheers,

rody

Hi,

That looks like a fun bike

Do not know whether it are my sharp eyes ...but yes, I did recognize the dropout

493028965_1bb3ed0a2f_b.jpg

Dropout on my Hard Core. More pics here. In fact our bikes are blood brothers :cool:

NEW!

Not really retro, as I wouldn't call a reintroduction retro, especially when it's been tweaked for 100mm travel fork use, but still, EWR is back! Check them out at www.ewrbikes.com. Plans for 29ers and suspended models are in the works as I understand it. You know I had too so...

..Here is my new toy, waiting patiently for a rip in the dirt...and some parts of course! Very tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_1867small.JPG
    IMG_1867small.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,749
Back