Rocky Mountain Fusion Find

manIK

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks, I was hoping someone would know the year of this RM Fusion and maybe give me some thoughts on a few fixes? [edit** seems to be a 93]

I picked it up this weekend and it seems to be mostly vanilla with only the fork being replaced [and possibly the rims/hubs but I can't tell]

I have not cleaned it - this is as it was when I picked it up yesterday.

There's a little damage [surface finish] from what I suspect is bike-rack wear.

The rear derailleur doesn't seem to want to up-shift - the cable wont pull at all and the thumb has no tension. It will downshift and up-shift back to the 5th no problem. Just can get up past that.

A pair of bottomed out Manitou 4 shocks [92'ish?] that either need replacing or fixing [not sure I've decided yet]

And something looks wrong on the stem. Some damage but I don't know how that happened and it looks like its riding higher in the head tube than it should - maybe someone has an idea? [i can post clearer pics of anything]

Attachments

• RM_Fusion-6.jpg
    RM_Fusion-6.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,591
  • RM_Fusion-7.jpg
    RM_Fusion-7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,591
  • RM_Fusion-4.jpg
    RM_Fusion-4.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,591
  • RM_Fusion-5.jpg
    RM_Fusion-5.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,591
  • RM_Fusion-3.jpg
    RM_Fusion-3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,591
  • RM_Fusion-2.jpg
    RM_Fusion-2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,591
  • RM_Fusion-1.jpg
    RM_Fusion-1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,591
Maybe someone played with rear mech adjustment screw :?:
Few turns out should sort it I think.

Try to spray some penetrating oil (like WD-40) into shifter trough cable hole,that could help also. :)

rider":dx1km7ci said:
Maybe someone played with rear mech adjustment screw :?:
Few turns out should sort it I think.

Try to spray some penetrating oil (like WD-40) into shifter trough cable hole,that could help also. :)

You might be right-on there. I haven't looked it over in detail but I'll check the screws. Makes sense if the shifter is topped out but the derailleur isn't.

lrh":dx1km7ci said:
1993 model year? Black Deore LX only appeared for 93.

T9212 = December 92?

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...3&Brand=Rocky+Mountain&Model=Fusion&Type=bike

That's what I was basing my thoughts on as well but I think the Fusion was also available in 91 and 92 [its not referenced on that site but I seem to remember seeing it in some RM catalog scans as I was researching a year for it - I could be wrong however] The later models are mostly Gripshift and don't sport the same comps. Maybe the frame was made in late 92 then finished and built for a 93 model? *shrug*

Thanks.

The decals aren't doing it for me [and they are decals not cleared over - some goo-gone cleans it off nicely] - hope I don't catch too much flak - they gotta go but I'm interested in less, um, flashy, replacements if anyone knows where or if it's possible to get replacement decals. The RM site just has bare-bone replacements ):

Was also thinking of replacing the stem. Any suggestions? Looking for something with a lower profile - doesn't ride as high. Here is a pic of my Cirrus profile

I would say 1993, in it's Mercury colouring

A proper entry level MTB.
A more relaxed setup than the higher end.
Nothing wrong with the stem, it's just been raised up from its standard position. Undo the bolt at the top and give it a hit to lower it.

FluffyChicken":tcyfj0a1 said:
Nothing wrong with the stem, it's just been raised up from its standard position. Undo the bolt at the top and give it a hit to lower it.

I'll give that a shot.

I'm hoping to tear it down soon.

I lowered the stem [thanks FluffyChicken!] and got the rear derailleur/shifter sorted. You called it, rider. Going back and forth between the screws and cable adjuster I can now shift through all the gears, up and down.

Took it for a spin around the block [with flat shocks] and it handled fine, considering the tires are really fat and rounded and a little too gummy for my tastes [plus under pressure and I don't have a presta adapter for my pump] and I was dropped a few inches. It shifted well enough though still needs some tweaking. It's probably all for not though since I want to get all the cables replaced [nasty brown rusty color, all of them]. I'm pretty sure they're all vanilla.

The decals are growing on me. I just wish there was more color on the bike. The decals are so out of place with the grey tones, chrome and black. I feel like I need to add some kind of color anodized parts to offset it.

Back