My 1987 or maybe 1988 Raleigh Memphis

Zebedee

Retro Newbie
Just joined the forum as i've finally got back into mountain bikng after a decade or so of not even touching a bike of any sorts.

I recently dug this out of my parents garage where its sat for years gathering dust/rust etc. It's pretty well used and has been given a coat of yellow paint and some MBUK Mint Sauce stickers years ago.
Not perfect by a long shot but its still useable.

I originally wanted a splatter painted Kona cinder cone but as they were way out of my parents price range at the time they bought this from a colleague of my mums.

It was apparently bought new and he then replaced every component on it for some reason before selling it to my mum in 1988/89.
Its running Suntour 3040 accushift mechs and thumbshifters.
There doesn't seem to be a Raleigh catalogue on the forum that covers the Memphis so i've no idea what it would have originally been like.

A piccy from when it was brought back and cleaned.
6d117910.jpg

I had a Memphis too, but mine was blue? I tried looking for pics/spec before and couldnt find out anything on them.....

Memphis sat between the Maverick GT (that I had) and the Montage in the regular Raleigh range in 1988/89, it had a lugged ATT23 HI Ten frame that was lugged and had forged dropouts (Montage was 501). It had the 18 speed Suntour 3040 transmission and a Sakae Ovaltech Chainset, brakes were Dia-Compe (same as the Maverick) cantis and Lee-chi levers. Maillard Diablo sealed hubs with alloy rims with a QR front. It had an SR Laprade fluted seat pin with an Anotomic saddle. It was a sort of lilac colour.
The Montage got a better frame and nicer brakes.
I was hoping to be able to afford the Memphis (so wanted the 18 speed index gears) but it was new out and I couldn't get the kind of discount we got on the Maverick.

Carl.

It was indeed an odd bluey/lilacy colour originally but got so chipped and scratched (and raleigh couldn't help with touchup paint for it) that it got a quick rattle can paintjob to tidy it up.

Its still got the Sakae SX ovaltech chainset 28/38/48 and the suntour 3040 mechs. Apart from the rear mech getting bent from a large rock in the first week i owned it i couldn't fault it.
Brake levers are Lee Chi and i think they are dia-comp cantilevers on it. Got a D stamped into each anyway.
Rims are seriously grooved and warped now and the rear wheel axle is bent. Seems to be missing half the bearings in the axles. Just metallicy grease left.:shock:

I probably ran it for 10 years solid doing 40-50 off-road miles a week so i got my moneys worth.

I'm in two minds whether to throw cash at it or just buy something else. I still fancy a Kona. ;)

Back