Tushingham Resource Pool

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
I have been fortunate enough to acquire a Tushingham frame and fork in reasonable order and the decals largely intact. Sadly it is too small for me, but I intend to build it up for its rarity value.

I have zero information to go on, so this is a call for those with snippets of knowledge, old adverts etc. to post here to compile a build sheet of sorts - so, what do we know??

Gallery pictures: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/u ... =xc6716546

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 7,951
you jammy bugger....what model is it...? A B52...?

Any pics you are happy to share...?

lucky lucky lucky... :cool:

Not one to want to seem like a vulture, but if you ever decide to part with it, could you please consider me for first dibs.....?

I am eagerly awaiting your pics with anticipation....!!!!

sinnerman":273qpw5x said:
Not one to want to seem like a vulture, but if you ever decide to part with it, could you please consider me for first dibs.....?

Ambulance chaser :LOL:

I am no expert, but i think thats a B52, (but i clearly could be wrong, as i am only going from memory)

Originally only supplied in my area, by a Windsurfing/sailing store that also sold bikes, and this store only ventured into the mountain bike market, due to the Tushingham brand, and there obvious windsurfing background. If memory serves me right it would have been neon and white.

I was told either correctly or incorrectly, it all originated from a resprayed Muddy fox Courier, again this could all have been a load of bull, but i was young and keen, the similarities are there, perhaps the same far east manufacturer...??? who knows... i myself would love for Lester to fill in the blanks, after all without this.....would Orange have ever been...?

You have a real piece of Uk mountain bike history there my friend, and i am amazed at the condition to be fair.

sensational.

:cool:

Talk to Maverick hes the man when it comes to these.

matthew71":vduksi3z said:
sinnerman":vduksi3z said:

Ambulance chaser :LOL:

You cant blame me, lol......it Predates Orange, and i havnt seen such a thing since i was a boy.... ;)

Mr K,

you really have spurred my interest with this.

After looking at all the pictures, i was unsure it this was a works team replica or a B52.

The fact it has a straight top tube, and a rear chainstay mounted U-Brake, would suggest to me that it isnt a works bike and more likely a B52.

Let me make a couple of calls, and i will see what i can dig up for you.

Ok.

I am now 99% sure this is a B52.

The Original Colour was Neon Orange and white, it wasnt a resprayed Muddyfox but it was made by the same company in the far east and shared the same production line, hence such close similarites.

Rodger was as intrigued to hear about this frame as i was to see it today.

Obviously this was a venture at the very beginning of the Uk mountain bike scene. Lester worked for Rodger and together the Tushingham Mountain bike was Born.

Rodger then continued to concentrate on the windsurfing whilst Lester formed Orange mountain bikes. (the first example being a similarly produced frame, "pathfinder/courier", sprayed in the Clockwork colours, from the same far east manufacturer.)

Myself and Maverick were fortunate enough to actually see the First example of the clockwork, being taken out of the boot of there car at the race Bitd, it was kind of nice to have this confirmed today, for years i thought i had heard wrong, or i was loosing my memory....lol)

Obviously with the Production Run of Tushingham being relatively short, before Lester leaving to form Orange Mountain bikes, original spec sheets and catalogues are scarce, but Rodger has asked me to send him a quick email as he may be able to have a route around for me, when he visits home in Yorkshire in a couple of weeks. He is sure he still has an original Spec sheet and possibly an actual colour brochure detailing the models colours and specifcations of this model and others.

Failing that he is happy to put me in contact with another ex-employee that has a couple of the original models in his own museum collection.

As and when i recieve the scans from the originals, i will forward on immediately.

I hope this has been of some help...?

A futher point to add, the WORKS TEAM BIKE, had a slightly sloping top tube, a wishbone rear end and was fabricated here in the UK.

Back