Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Blizzard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Needs Canti's not Vee's, always think Vees on a Canti bridged bike looks horrendously ugly, Canti's are lighter and work just as well if not better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:11 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

well i guess the majority of my collection is ugly to you then, as the majority have canti stop/bridge and they have Vs installed! :lol: only a handful of my bikes have canti installed as i prefer V technology, especially setting them up. :P

sorry, this build, as with the rest, are staying with Vs. :roll: ;)

found some spare outer and cabled up the shifters last night. third cog was skipping under hard peddling, but don't know why as there doesn't seem to be anything damaged/worn. ended up swapping out the cassette.

updated pics to follow if/when the rain lets up today/tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:49 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

No apologies here! Looks good! Liking the white RF Cranks, gives the flite some contrast...& you know what, them Blue Decals don't glare at you now it's fully built. Liking the Maple leaf frame! Next Rocky?...

Post subject: Canti's
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:11 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Just the frame was designed for canti's, they are lighter than Vee's, look better, give more modulation and more mud clearance.
This is why they are still used on most CX bikes, setting them up is a cinch with a bit of practice. I even put Canti's on frames designed for Vee's for this reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:03 am 
Retro Guru

I have V's on my '96 as well, pretty much for the same reasons listed above. You could always saw off the canti bridge but that would really be sacrilege!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:02 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

claret73… need to get working on the Experience. :oops: ;)

Wold Ranger… prob to your displeasure, i have at least 3 other builds with rear canti stops that i've hung Vs on. :oops: and i'm sure there's more to come. :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

RockiMtn wrote:

Wold Ranger… prob to your displeasure, i have at least 3 other builds with rear canti stops that i've hung Vs on. :oops: and i'm sure there's more to come. :roll: :lol:

Blasphemy of the highest order Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:49 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Wold Ranger wrote:
RockiMtn wrote:

Blasphemy of the highest order Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steer clear of my current RM Syncros Experience build then! the original canti plans will most likely change. :oops: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:06 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Great looking bike. The white cranks are ace. Normally I dislike white seats, but it's proper on this bike.

I agree with the grumpy old farts about the canti's though! V-brakes were a godsend to those who didn't take the time to learn to set up their canti's properly and who didn't maintain their brakes. They're great for cable routing challenges on FS bikes, too. I've never been impressed by their power.

Do the V's make your Blizzard look ugly? Certainly not. Just a difference of opinion. Good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

semi-school wrote:
Great looking bike. The white cranks are ace. Normally I dislike white seats, but it's proper on this bike.

I agree with the grumpy old farts about the canti's though! V-brakes were a godsend to those who didn't take the time to learn to set up their canti's properly and who didn't maintain their brakes. They're great for cable routing challenges on FS bikes, too. I've never been impressed by their power.

Do the V's make your Blizzard look ugly? Certainly not. Just a difference of opinion. Good job.

Actually the white RF Next are from your neck of the woods. Almost had to ask you if you'd do me a favour and pick them up for me as the seller wanted to sell local, but in the end he was nice enough to change his mind and ship them to me. He even offered them to me significantly less than he original posted them up for, for whatever reason, I do not know! :D

Yeah, I can set up canti brakes, but Vs are so much easier. Especially Shimano ones with parallel push technology. Less time spent on maintenance, means more time for me to try and get some riding in. ;)

However I must say I really like Control Tech canti brakes. If anything were to persuade me to change from Vs back to canti, it'd be those. But given how scarce and expensive they are, my rigs will remain sporting Vs. So my Mongoose Amplifier will probably remain the only rig with the CT canti.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next