its just a mirage...........

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
righteo

aint posted any projects for a few years, too many yoghurt knitters at times ;) and i dont take insults well lol

........so thought id other this up, a bit different and a bit personal....ish :roll:

early this year i purchased a nicely sized raleigh mirage, pics looked good, seller was spot on and honest and a deal was done. i didnt really need another bike but reflecting on my youth and remembering seeing a montage with u brake on the naval estate i grew up on, thought sod it ill have one. even back then i appreciated the clean lines of a frame boasting chainstay mounted u brakes, still not sure how well they work in mud but who cares...........lol.

admittantly its not the bike i wanted back then, but a bit different to what ive had and got.

heres the bike as i got it this spring, lovely patina, some nice parts and was gonna use it to pop to the in laws for sunday dinner and ride to work on nice days.exage trail groupset,OE steel bits and a very comfy saddle

p4pb7307185.jpg

pretty standard but with 21 speed qr wheelsand a bmx rear brake, rode like this for a bit and thought id build something cool for mayhem. cant ride for 2 weeks as from monday due to surgery so gonna build it up bit by bit. got everything i think so let the rebuild start.

IMAG1094.jpg

suspect frame is actually a 1988, this year seems to be u brake and 89, same as guv's has cantis. also the stem is 21.1, not 22.2 std 1".

found a post that i gave a quick polish and found a hiterite in my box's of bits :cool:

IMAG1095.jpg

updates as and when :D

views ;)

My first mtn bike was a 90 Mirage, the purple one. It was stoilen twice ( I didnt get it back the 2nd time).
Takes me back, mine had the 89 graphics on after it was returned with the graphics removed the 1st time.

Enjoy your retro raleigh anyhow.

only if you promise to keep it clean.................or get it really dirty :twisted:

cleaned and refitted the OE stem and polished up some old but wide bars

IMAG1097.jpg

also cleaned the very comfy saddle :D

IMAG1100.jpg

then started fitting some components.xt thumbies, xt 4 finger levers and some modern :roll: but lock on ;) grips.

IMAG1102.jpg

gonna get some drivetrain stuff on tomorrow, in between sending parcels and looking for a new car :(

little update, had a spare hour

fitted new u brake
IMAG1106.jpg

IMAG1107.jpg

and fronts
IMAG1108.jpg

then fitted an exage trail chainset, with lovely biopace rings, impressed with the smooth bb tbh, will keep it for now

IMAG1111.jpg

gonna be on hold for a few days now, skydiving tomorrow, snip on monday and no riding for a few weeks, great prep for MM eh :roll: hope this rides half as good as the old 85 rockhopper :D

Back