1993 Marin Eldridge & Hello!!

Quibble

Retro Newbie
Well, start with the hello. Hello!!!

A new member here who has started riding again after far too long off the bike and now after some advice!

Initially, I was going to look at buying a new mountain bike for my fun. Then I thought, hay - I have a perfectly good(ish!) bike that I would use as a base; my 1993 Marin Eldridge.

The bike is mainly standard other than the paint job (I did a 'home made' job a number of years ago that probably should be removed as an abomination to man / bike-kind) and a few components that I upgraded to Shimano XT.

So - project on!!!

Looking for ideas really. I want to bring the bike up to ‘todays’ standard and turn it in to a light-weight cross country MTB. My current thought process is take everything off the frame then get it stripped back and professionally powder coated (anyone know anywhere good in Hertfordshire / near by or is it a case of google for motorbike powder coaters?). Next plan would be a suspension fork of some kind before moving on to the other stuff.

So as I said – I would welcome any ideas. I’m not looking at trying to bring the bike back to it’s standard state (hopefully that isn’t viewed as an abomination), but trying to make it back in to the kind of bike I should have been using a lot more than I have been!!!

Hello and welcome.. Everyone will have differing opinions but I would
Give everything a good deep clean.. Pop on a set of v brakes and maybe an 80mm fork(depending on geometry) to let you do some decent off roading and off you go :)

Col

Back