1987 Raleigh Avanti - Finished & Karma'd 26/05/14

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Stumbled upon this little gem at the bike jumble this week, (actually it's and gate like) :D

I remember lusting after these in the Raleigh lightweight catalogue BITD and have had my eye out for one for a while now.

This one is totally original apart from the saddle, which is stamped 1987 and the tyres which are ground controls :cool:

All the gear is nice, frame is in good shape too, apart from some rust coming through the paint in places - not bad enough for a respray though.

Makes a nice addition to the British Steel collection :cool:

Attachments

• Ral_lite_88_mtbs.jpg
    Ral_lite_88_mtbs.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,743
  • DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 1,743
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 1,743
Wow... I really like that. I'm a massive Raleigh/Dyna Tech fanboy and assume this would have come before the days of the Dyna's. Nice.

Ahhhh you got it then , I saw it there on Saturday and was drooling over it, but the size was too big for me :( I love the 105 hubs and 2" thick rims very rare beasty and a beautiful example. Looks better without the yellow saddle :cool:

Gravy Monster":23eohgld said:
Ahhhh you got it then , I saw it there on Saturday and was drooling over it, but the size was too big for me :( I love the 105 hubs and 2" thick rims very rare beasty and a beautiful example. Looks better without the yellow saddle :cool:

couldn't resist I'm afraid - the original spec sealed the deal :D

I like these frames in the larger sizes as they can get very short in the top tube when they get smaller. The riding position on this is very similar to the saracen that I have - although I have to say the build frame/finish is better quality than the Saracen - but it is 2 years later (or behind the game).

Back