Very early Zaskar frame no. 88

Marcus W

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Whilst looking for a high end 20" steel GT, I Picked up ths Zaskar last weekend and it looks as though it is one of the ealiest ever made. Mostly original except for bars, seat, post, forks and pedals. The seller had it in their garage for 15 years.
It is Suntour XC Pro equiped with the dia compe U brake. There are no dents of cracks anywhere and the dropout hangar is straight. Amazing condition for the age. Even the brake pads look original! The only marks are on the U brake and stem which can easily be refurbed / touched up. The bottom bracked is shot so will have a look at that in the short term. I will aim to get it back to original equipment (forks maybe an issue) But if anyone fancies swapping for a high end 20" GT I am open to suggestions.

Not knowing much about these early ones I am trying to find out if this groupset was standard fitment / option on the 91 Zaskars. The 91 catalogue just shows the frame. Also trying to find out if anyone knows whether this is no 88 of Zaskar frames ever built or just those in the UK?

Any info would be gratefullu received. Will get more photos later.

Attachments

• P1000043 (Large).JPG
    P1000043 (Large).JPG
    101 KB · Views: 3,144
  • P1000032 (Large).JPG
    P1000032 (Large).JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 3,144
  • P1000043 (Large).JPG
    P1000043 (Large).JPG
    101 KB · Views: 3,144
  • P1000033 (Large).JPG
    P1000033 (Large).JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 3,144
  • P1000030 (Large).JPG
    P1000030 (Large).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 3,144
  • P1000025 (Large).JPG
    P1000025 (Large).JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 3,144
Hi there , I think you could be right about it being an early production frame .I am under the impression that GT's where produced the year they where stamped on the frame, distributed to be sold the next year? I could be wrong & probably are. Oracle of GT knowledge on this board is GM1230126 ,
Nice frame though.

Frame was produced September 1990 (0990) and is the 88th example produced that month.

Nice bike, if you've not had one before, you'll love it :cool:

NeilM":ka6tdy63 said:
Frame was produced September 1990 (0990) and is the 88th example produced that month.

Nice bike, if you've not had one before, you'll love it :cool:

Nice one NeilM , always wondered what the last 4 digits where for. :oops:

t-stoff":1lmxpift said:
TLC on that frame !! ; )

I have read a lot on here and I am worried about harming the 'ball burninshing' what is the best way of getting a good shine. Also I have not had that much tech experience of this site how do I contact GM1230126?

thanks

it wont hurt more than already is : )

Well, as I've done on mines (link on my signature) and most of users with the bare aluminum frames.
Make sure you order or get some decals, from ebay or from a user here Gil_m (i think)

You can easily remove the old ones by applying heat from a hairdryer.
start with wet/dry sandpaper like grain 500 for the biggest scratches, then 1000, 1500 and 2000, 2500, the highest the most shiny it will look after. lots of elbow grease required lol.

I bought a set of wire brushes for some difficult access areas. Then got the frame soaped and cleaned to apply autosol.
Every now an then I have to give it a little polish, no big deal.

if you search you can find more info! I think there is a user who got famous for testing it first, WD I guess.

good luck! you'll get addicted to polishing things lol ;)

Back