Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:33 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:56 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
Silverfish wrote:
I might run a FTW stem on it instead.


ALERT ALERT *** THE STEM YOU ARE TRYING TO USE IS TOO NEW FOR THIS APPLICATION *** END OF ALERT


Last edited by mkozaczek on Thu May 17, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm
Posts: 1211
Location: Cornwall, England
Not true Martin. I'm pretty sure geoff ringle had quill stems launched in 92, tho i'm not sure how widely available they were. Plus this build will be a mix of components up to 94 so I'm not too worried about mixing years. It's really going to be a case of whatever works/looks the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
Silverfish wrote:
Not true Martin. I'm pretty sure geoff ringle had quill stems launched in 92, tho i'm not sure how widely available they were. Plus this build will be a mix of components up to 94 so I'm not too worried about mixing years. It's really going to be a case of whatever works/looks the best.


I updated my thread to refer to the FTW stem, it's tool old. Ringle stem is fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm
Posts: 1211
Location: Cornwall, England
Yeah a little bit, the ATAC might work better. I may have to buy your ATAC stem :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
Silverfish wrote:
Yeah a little bit, the ATAC might work better. I may have to buy your ATAC stem :D


It's more or less yours. I still owe you the pics of the 3DV hyperends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm
Posts: 1211
Location: Cornwall, England
mkozaczek wrote:
Silverfish wrote:
Yeah a little bit, the ATAC might work better. I may have to buy your ATAC stem :D


It's more or less yours. I still owe you the pics of the 3DV hyperends.


Thanks buddy :D

Well the Ringle stem is starting to grow on me - but the silver headset spacer HAS to go. I could of course trim the steerer tube. Got to get a few other parts ano'd so plan A will be to get this headset spacer re-ano'd in 3DV. Gonna be a struggle to have this finished in time for the Yeti Tribe Meet...


Attachments:
silver spacer.JPG
silver spacer.JPG [ 103.68 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:56 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm
Posts: 1211
Location: Cornwall, England
Really having fun now :( Finally got the stanchions out - were stuck very tight, probably due to there being a lot more rust internally than I was expecting, especially considering the condition on the outside.

Maybe I should have stuck with the rigid Yeti fork...


Attachments:
m2 stanchions.JPG
m2 stanchions.JPG [ 149.65 KiB | Viewed 1399 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:11 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
It was more of a PITA to put them back together. Upper dust seals on mine were very much plasticized.

I have a nice NOS M2 waiting for the 17.4" ARC to get done, will get new bumpers for it anyways.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:08 am 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:01 am
Posts: 144
Location: Australia
Sweet build, everthing looks to be in mint condition. I would definitely go with the Manitou 2's and Ringle stem, use the A-TAC if you go with the Accutrax, it has the cable noodle.

As I remember it the bike would have been built with Manitou 2's as every mountain biker worth their salt at the time would have specced suspension forks or upgraded to them as soon as they were available. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:13 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm
Posts: 1211
Location: Cornwall, England
trailboss wrote:
Sweet build, everthing looks to be in mint condition. I would definitely go with the Manitou 2's and Ringle stem, use the A-TAC if you go with the Accutrax, it has the cable noodle.

As I remember it the bike would have been built with Manitou 2's as every mountain biker worth their salt at the time would have specced suspension forks or upgraded to them as soon as they were available. :)


agreed - figured if I was running 1st gen XTR the rest of the build would need to follow suit although I couldn't resist the Disk Drive :D - and the Critical Racing canti's I've got planned are strictly speaking a little late...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chrisv40 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group