1995 Steel Stumpjumper FS, sympathetic resto

flipwils11

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi gang, haven't been on here in quite a while since I posted last year, too many hobbies! I let the 1987 Stumpjumper I had go to an enthusiastic new owner because I just didn't like the frame geometry compared to my original 1994 Stumpjumper FS. So keeping a close eye on the classifieds netted me an unloved and a bit beat up 1995 Stumpjumper FS (steel of course) to be my new around the neighborhood rider. My 1994 is pretty heavily modded and I prefer to ride that on trails, so I wanted another similar vintage Stumpjumper FS for rides with family and kids.

I have some questions so maybe you guys can help.

• 1) I converted my 1994 shifters/brake levers to XT a few years ago when the original LX shifter pods started acting up. I did save them and they're in decent shape. Is it possible to have the internals repaired if I send them into Shimano? On Bikepedia for a 1994 Steel Stumpjumper FS it only lists them as LX, but doesn't provide a Shimano model #. I'd like to put them on this 1995 because I've never been a Gripshift fan.

2) The rear wheel on this 1995 appears to be substituted for something else and I'd like to get another "Specialized Z-21, 32-hole" (again from bikepedia for a 1994 and 1995 Stumpjumper). Are these hard to find? What's the best way, check ebay often?

3) The (original?) front fork is shot (won't even hold the weight of the bike!) but I was going to send it to Hippietech suspension to have it rebuilt since he did a great job on my Judy XC on my 1994 Stumpjumper. This looks different though than the Futureshock my 1994 originally had which was grey. This one is kind of gold and says Magnesium on it and Mag 21 (I thought the 1994 Futureshock was a Rock Shox Mag 21?). Anyway, the bike is that Champagne color (gold/beige) with purple Specialized Stumpjumper writing on it from the 1995, so maybe another Judy XC would look better on it, plus the Judy seems to have a bit better travel. What would you do, keep the Mag 21 and have it repaired?

Here's a crappy pic from craigslist of the bike, I'll post more that show the detail of its war wounds. The rear umma gumma was replaced unfortunately but it came with the front (which is rock hard and probably unsafe to ride, laugh!). :oops:

Attachments

• stumpjumper-buy.jpg
    stumpjumper-buy.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 4,153
We_are_Stevo":3rgy72ue said:
Nice bike, though the fork in the photo' is a Judy not a Mag 21... :?

You know what, I thought it was a bad photo, but you're right of course now that I look at it again. The guy I got it from told me it was an old photo and his dad had replaced the rear wheel and tire since then, but now I'm wondering what happened and what else was swapped out.... sheesh.

We_are_Stevo":1hmj1sut said:
The bike in the photo' does...
Hmmm. I agree it certainly looks like a 1 1/8" steerer in the photo... but i happen to have a steel S-Works from the same year and it actually has a 1" steerer. (the Ibis stem on there is an 1 1/8" with a Thomson adapter underneath)

Would the S-Works be different? I would have thought whatever my S-Works was, the steel Stumpjumpers would be too. But maybe not? The dropouts, tubing size/shape and SP clamp seem to be the same for whatever that's worth.

It looks like flipwils11's bike might have a ’95 Judy XC. My brother is doing a bit of a makeover on his ’94 GT Zaskar and recently found this site to update the guts on his ’95 Judy SLs:
http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esho ... oductId=82
He seems to have the same problem with his fork as the deteriorated elastomers have left the fork in a permanent state of sag…
If that's all that is wrong, an elastomer swap is dead easy.

Specialized had Future Shock versions for both the Mag21 and the first Judy models of Rock Shox. This guy's post on MTBR shows pictures of both 'SL' versions in all their carbon exoticness:
http://forums.mtbr.com/5643046-post3.html

Attachments

• 5794639354_de364f8966.jpg
    5794639354_de364f8966.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 4,021
OK, here are actual pictures of the bike in my basement, not the ad from the seller I bought it from on craigslist. :roll: Now what say the group?

Attachments

• DSC_6723-sm.JPG
    DSC_6723-sm.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,009
  • DSC_6724-sm.JPG
    DSC_6724-sm.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 4,010
  • DSC_6726-sm.JPG
    DSC_6726-sm.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,009
  • DSC_6728-sm.JPG
    DSC_6728-sm.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 4,010
Huh. It looks even more like 1 1/8" from the close ups. Maybe my S-Works is more different than i thought. A 1" HT bike in 1995 was rare either way. Best way to be sure is to measure...

Other than what you've already pointed out, the bike seems to match the Bikepedia posted specs pretty well actually. Nice.

Unless I'm mistaken, those Mag21s just need a bit of air to prop them back up again. Assuming nothing is worn out of course. Under the top caps there should be a valve. They do lose air over time.

Overdue update. The Futureshock was really shot, so HippieTech suspension built me a Judy (XC body with SL internals and modern upgrades). Then I swapped in LX rapidfire shifters and brake levers thanks to a forum member here, new chain rings, 7 speed cassette, new cables and tune-up, and a Cane Creek Headset. I might ask if I can bring it back to the shop and remove those spacers at the top of the stem because I like the lower profile look without the "bump" out.

How's it ride? I really, REALLY like it. My '94 Stumpjumper is so modified and rides so differently with titanium spoke wheels that this is a great throwback and I'd forgotten how much fun and stiff it was! Although I'm into it for much more $$ than I originally thought I would be, the frame is perfect and it's a bike that cosmetically I don't care as much about and can take it on neighborhood rides with my family. I also will update the seat at some point to something modern with the love channel.

stumpjumper-runnabout-5.jpg

stumpjumper-runnabout-4.jpg

stumpjumper-runnabout-3.jpg

stumpjumper-runnabout-1.jpg

justwannaride":3f8vunkv said:
Maybe my S-Works is more different than i thought. A 1" HT bike in 1995 was rare either way. Best way to be sure is to measure...

No, it is a 1" - all of the last gen steel S Works were, designed really to be used with their 650g steel fork (yes, its a little flexy). I guess part of the reason was probably that they had some of the steel parts to hand and just specced the main tubes. The other bikes in the range that year were all 1 1/8", with the exception of the S Works Ultimate (ti/carbon this year) which also happened to use the same fork, perhaps another reason why.

Latest posts

Back