1990 Marin Team

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
One of these has been on the list for ages.

dsc0027uh.jpg

dsc0024mb.jpg

dsc0023eaw.jpg

dsc0026fo.jpg

Top of the range in 1990, zolatone paint, oversize tange prestige, O/S spinner forks, deore XT, pink(:cool:) - great stuff!

marin1990teammarin143.jpg

As I have found out for the past 3 years they are rare as hens teeth.

Now I have 2. One in 17.5" (came free attached to some PACE RC30s) and one in 19".

The 19" is complete with most of the original group set, forks and bars (uncut :D) - the 17.5" has had what can best be described as a hard life and has a very stuck seat post.

The zolatone paint is both an iconic feature of these bikes and a restorers nightmare - it is prone to surface rust and you can't find it anywhere to do a respray and stickers don't stick to it very well.

Needles to say both of mine have 'issues' in the paint dept - the 19" has surface rust on just about every tube - the 17.5 I think is in better condition but has suffered the indignity of a rattle can spray job on top of the zolatone :?

Going to concentrate on 19" for now and keep the 17.5" as a spare or in case the 19" is too big (anyone got any tips for removing rattle can and keeping zolatone?)

The plan is to get it as near as catalogue spec as I can. I have most things - some NOS rm17s, a pair of Marin Rockstar Tyres all the XT stuff etc.

I do need a stem, saddle and seat post. The last two are going to be a real pain in the butt to find so for now I have an Avocet R1 (very similar shape to the original Marin one) and a black American Classic seat post - very similar in looks to the micro adjust OE one but better in just about every way :D

The paint on the forks and bars has had some heavy knocks (it is really thick!) so when I get a stem all three will be off to Argos to get a new flouro pink coate of paint :D

I am going to gently remove the rust from the frame, do some local touch ups to try and retain the zolatone for authenticity.

Frames, forks, bars stripped and cleaned:

dsc0018np.jpg

dsc0019qxq.jpg

dsc0020bb.jpg

dsc0021eb.jpg

dsc0022ax.jpg

Nice find.

I keep looking out for a Team Marin but they are rare. I brought a Eldrige in good condition and I'm tempted to make a Team Marin from it. All the frames and forks were the same that year but different colours for the front end.

My Zolatone is not perfect, but much better than most. Do you know where I can get some Team Stickers from?

littleblackflash":2u5fqx5z said:
Nice find.

I keep looking out for a Team Marin but they are rare. I brought a Eldrige in good condition and I'm tempted to make a Team Marin from it. All the frames and forks were the same that year but different colours for the front end.

My Zolatone is not perfect, but much better than most. Do you know where I can get some Team Stickers from?

Dont mean to rain on your parade but the Team Marin bikes were made from Tange Prestige main tubes and Team Issue was Tange Prestige Concept for that year whereas the Pine Mountain and Eldridge were made of Tange oversize tubing. The Eldridge and Pine were always the same frames just different componentry but they never afaik had the same frame as the team issue bikes.

littleblackflash":2c3s529n said:
Nice find.

As haggis says there are some differences in the frames, some more subtle than others. Apart from tubing the 'Team' had different cable routing from the rest of the range with the rear mech going over the top tube. The forks are also different.

You have to look twice though so go for it! (I though about it for a while!)

PM Gil_m on here for the decals - I will e-mail him some decent pics of my decals along with dimensions so he has something to go on.

For touching-up the paintwork on my old zolatone EG I mixed my own paint. A combination of black gloss enamel and grey primer. It took some trial and error to get the colour right, but eventually was a very good match.

Probably not what you're after for a complete respray though, but worth a try.

nevadasmith":bzlzgr5o said:
littleblackflash":bzlzgr5o said:
Nice find.

As haggis says there are some differences in the frames, some more subtle than others. Apart from tubing the 'Team' had different cable routing from the rest of the range with the rear mech going over the top tube. The forks are also different.

You have to look twice though so go for it! (I though about it for a while!)

PM Gil_m on here for the decals - I will e-mail him some decent pics of my decals along with dimensions so he has something to go on.

You learn something everyday. For now I'll keep it as it is because I use it to ride to work on. I'll concentrate on building my Klein and RC100 while keeping an eye out for a Team Marin.

Will be following this build closely.

nowt wrong with badging it up as a Pine Mountain as it is frame wise anyway. I'm sure Gil_m has some decals for this year anyway as i had some made up for my Pine.

I think for certain years the Team Issue and Team Marin had gear cable stops on the side of the head tube as well.

gerryattrick":yujc70o6 said:
For touching-up the paintwork on my old zolatone EG I mixed my own paint. A combination of black gloss enamel and grey primer. It took some trial and error to get the colour right, but eventually was a very good match.

Probably not what you're after for a complete respray though, but worth a try.

Thanks for the tip - will give that a try.

GT-Steve put me onto this thread for a 1990 Eldridge:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Off to Halfords tomorrow to get a can of the acid etch primer to see what its like - looks good to me though :D

Back