Mountain Goat Trench Goat

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hello people

I present you my Mountain Goat Trench Goat.

I like the bike a lot. You will know the Trench Goat is the Japanese built Mountain Goat variation. It resembles a lot if not all with the US-built Escape Goat frame.

- Ride All Day geometry
- headtube reinforcement collars
- fillet-brazing to reinforce headtube intersections
- Tange tubing
- seattube reinforcement collar with Hite-Rite tab and Mountain Goat heads brazed on
- prepared for racks

All there. It looks like Mountain Goat were very serious about creating a convincing Mountain Goat. They did their (outsourcing) job accurately. It is very unlike for example the 'Team Chance' (a Fat Chance inspired bicycle by the Canadian importer that didn't look like a FAT at all).

What is not like with the Escape Goat is that the Trench Goat was available as complete bike only, came in less sizing variations and was available with only paint scheme option: a distinctive salmon base with white splitter-splatter on one side and yellow on the other. Very nice imo.

Two years long the Trench Goat was carried in the Mountain Goat line up. I don't know why it was discontinued. Does anyone?

What I do know is that from than on it looks like that Mountain Goat steers away from sourcing abroad:
- in catalogs and ads there are explicit mentions of that all Mountain Goat frames are US/California-built
- Mountain Goat offers an 'American Pick' component selection
- in 1994 Mountain Goat opens a production shop that aims to keep series frame production in US (Altitude)

From this perspective it makes Mountain Goat's attempt with Japanese production, this Trench Goat, extra interesting. Anyway, I do like it a lot and I am sure I will be enjoying this Goat a lot the upcoming many years. I hope you like too.

The pictures show the bike how I collected it. With this photoshoot I also took pics of the individual modernish parts and most are sold by now. Of course I kept stuff like the Cook QR's and the XT cranks.

Driveside:

6975484678_8035e23288_b.jpg

Non-driveside:

6975482666_6b68e32fee_b.jpg

6975480436_04b3e72052_z.jpg
6975483382_bd286cd67f_z.jpg

U.S.A. Designed:

7121562895_c0cca6a627_z.jpg
7121564895_ec42e683f6_z.jpg

There is also black splitter-splitter:

7121562111_2ddde511a9_z.jpg

Very cool and the frame looks in cracking condition.

What is the plan for the build?

GREAT, INCREDIBLE, AWESOME bike! (Although I'm not a fan of the saddle and the handlebar)

I would love to see the final build

Thanks for the kind words chaps :)

I am undecided on the build. Could go for full XT with True Temper 4130 bar and Strong post for example. Alternatively opting for a build with a couple slightly younger parts like ControlTech bars/post and the Cook QR's could be a way to go. LucasARG, you can be sure the current bars and seat won't make their return ;)

Back