Could I get my mojo workin'? Finished with pics...

huhue

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks,

recently I put my ibis mojo out of duty. That was for sizing reasons. Back in the days ('95-'98 ) I rode a 18" GT Psyclone. It was a lovely little frame, but way to small. At the time they had ibis mojo frames at a very low rate in my local bike shop. One of them was hanging there for quite a while and because I was looking for a bigger frame I bought it but left it hanging for quite a while longer (the guys were friends so no prob).
Then finally my Psyclone had a chainstay crack and the mojo came in handy. Frames were swapped and I liked it very much, finally a bike where I didn't have any neck problems. I rode it a bit but soon my cycling adventures got very rare and the bike was pretty much sitting in the living room.
10 years later I thought well I got that old mojo sitting around why not give it a spin. Met with some friends and took it to the local woods.

ibisxcrpdb.jpg

BAD IDEA...
Because I had done no cyclyng in a long time (except very little commuting) I wasn't in shape and didn't know that my back wasn't able to cope with the old stretchy position on the bike anymore.
This led to two weeks of severe back problems and a decision to dump the frame. The result is my new Hei Hei.

I thought to sell the mojo because I have to pay for the Kona frame and the funds are... well you get the picture.
That was before I read so much in this and the german retro forums about so many brilliant bikes. Now I'm not so sure anymore. The bike virus seems to be back...

What do you guys think, could the mojo be transformed into a decent town rig? I'll definitely not use it in the woods anymore because at 21.5" it's definitely to big for that. But I think it could be converted into a very nice commuter (not everyday but for summer cruisin')...
It would need a shorter stem than before (had a 135mm/0°). I have a Paul WORD Hubset for It and could convert it to single...
Rigid forks oviously and some retro parts would make a nice projekt.
The frame is a '96 mojo with Tange Prestige Moron Tubing and the well known "hand job". Color is a very nice teal green metallic.

OPINIONS?

Share them please!

Cheers Dan

keep it!

You would make someone very happy if you sold the mojo. But hey, you can't get 'em any more, and you couldn't get a bike with that much ability or personality for what you could get from selling it.

It'd make a lovely city bike. A good handling mtb frame will still be a good handling bike frame even if it's not in the woods. Heavy for a road bike, sure. But it's not a road bike and that's the point.

As I'm above superclydesdale in weight, the weight of the bike is not really important! ;)

What makes me hesitate is the slack seattube angle, which may be compensated with a short fork. But will it handle well with a non supension corrected fork?

Greets Dan

it's fine

Approximate axle to crown measurements

non-suspension corrected rigid fork: 395-400mm
2"-2.5" fork (mid 90's): 410 mm
2.5"-3" fork (late 90's): 440 mm

I think it works out to a .6 degree change in head angle with every half inch the axle to crown height is changed. The effect of half an inch of change probably won't be noticeable except on your favourite, tight, twisty singletrack. One inch difference and the change is noticeable, but you can ride around it. More than that? Don't do it. Get a different frame or fork.

Bikeman sells Kona Project 2 forks available in 410 or 440 mm a-c lengths.

If you mount a fork that has a different a-c measurement, don't forget to check your seat position after set up. It may affect your choice of stem as well.

The frame is made for 60mm suspension forks as far as I know. To get a steeper Seat angle, I think a 390 to 400mm fork would be right.
If I do the project, I think it will be long term and probably the fork schould be ibis related, so no hurry to get any parts.

The parts would be mainly Paul plus a sturdy crank, maybe track style? Parts and Stuff that is or was made roughly 150mls around Sebastopol (where the frame was made) or at least in California.

That would be the idea...

O.K. after some more investigating in parts, this would be a possible selection:

Forks: Koski?
BB: Phil Wood
Crank: IRD Defiant or Cook Bros. Racing Bonz (both look retro enough for my taste) ;)
Headset: Can't think of anything but King (non Cal I know...)
Brakes: Paul Stoplight/Motolite + Love Levers/Canti Levers
Hubs: Original Paul Word Hubset
Stem: preferably ibis steel or Salsa
Handlebar: Salsa steel?
Seatpost: IRD (no offset necessary)
Saddle: Titanico X
Tires: Ritchey Tomslicks

If possible, old stuff that was produced in the 90s!

Any suggestions?

Cheers Dan

Decision made:
This will be a keeper!

I have the wheels already, some interim parts are also available, so it might not take too long to finish it. Though some of the Parts will need some serious fundraising (aka WORK...).
We'll see.

Looking forward to convert the mojo into a Townie (a polished one though).

Thanks semi-school for your kind help.

Greetz Dan

I've never understood the weight fascination on super light weight bits when the biggest variable is the rider sitting on it.

I'm glad your keeping it and making it a townie. Cheapest first fix I would suggest is a simple one something like a pair of amberwall schwalbe city jets 1.95's for around 25 quid.

This should make it everyday useable for next to no money then see where you want to go from there

Thanks sylus,

I'm already in posession of a pair of Blackwall Tomslicks from back in the nineties.
My biggest prob will be to find a proper fork and cranks that can stand the 18 stones that will hammer down on them... :shock:
I'm really tempted to give Cooks a second chance, the newly available Cook Bros. Racing Bonz are looking very tempting! The E-Cranks that I had on the ibis failed probably because of too much bolt tourque. There is a german saying: "after tight comes loose..." :oops: :roll:

The mojo will be a good weather rig with no fenders. I have a Surly 1X1 as everyday commuter, complete with fenders lights and everything so this one can be saved for lovely summer (I'm not from Britain as you probably can tell by now ;) ).

Cheers Dan

Started to clean the wheels, they'll get rebuild with new rims (same WTB Powerbeam) towards the end of the project.
I Just put the wheels and a Manitou1 on to get a first impression:

townie3igunn.jpg

townie2rfdpg.jpg

townie1eidfq.jpg

The hubs are not cleaned too shiny, I will do that with the rebuild. The Manitous don't look to bad on the mojo, but I think I'll follow the rigid route. I might get a threaded steerer for the M1 anyway, you never know...

Other than that I'm very happy that the W.O.R.D. Hubs survived the abuse in my commuter and are in surprisingly good shape.
The Syncros Ti seatpost stays until I can source something '96ish from California (though i've no idea what to look for?).

Greets Dan

Back