1991 GT Team-Avalanche - FINISHED 23/05/12 (pg4)

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So after much thought, I opted to buy this on ebay, today, and after a horrendous 300 mile round-trip to collect it in some of the most awful driving conditions ever, I finally got a moment to reassmble it, and start this thread.

A thoroughly original 1991 GT Team Avalanche in 'Midnight Aurora' colourway - which is as deep and glossy as the day it left the showroom. Only a couple of bits have been changed since that very day, and I am keen to return it to 'showroom spec' but it's gonna be a user, so not fussed about showroom condition.

20 inches of lovely Tange Concept/Prestige tubing now adorns my collection, and considering I'm GT-Steve, I thought the GT that I own to live up to my namesake be a good (and rather rare) one... :cool: 2x4 forks and the flip-flop stem add to the exclusivity as does the early GT-trademark U-brake and the fancy 'groove tube' system..

ff2f1fc3.jpg

8f8fb1ed.jpg

d880e167.jpg

So Looking for the following parts to resore to a more natural beauty:

GT (AME) grips - OE
Ritchey Megabyte tyres - Amberwall

What a beauty mate, and a bargain to boot! Too big for me or I would have liked a 91 to add to my 92!

I thought these 91's had internal cable routing on the top tube as opposed to the Groove tube like mine?

Would love some Z-max myself, any idea what width get through the U-brake okay?

Luke :cool:

yep, I'm a bandit - it's not groove tube at all... it's internal routed.. I'm overdosed on GT jurgon at the moment... :LOL:

According to the 91 brochure, it was adorned with Megabytes in 2.1 width..

Wouldn't mind a 91 Avalanche in white/black to go with it, too.. :roll:

Surprised how heavy it is - especially at the back end, but hen I guess that's a bonus for rear end grip (uphill)

Well done Steve, glad one of us got it :)

Looking forward to a few more pics when you have the time.

Nice.

I love looking at steel GT's but cant get with the ride anymore, for me the back end feels like its on a pivot.

Have you changed that super rare ltd edition SIS rear mech yet?

the super-dooper limited edition rear mech will be making way for an m732 when I get a moment, along with a new chain, just to be sure... :LOL:

I really need to change the grips tho, cos they're offendig me more, visually.

Oh yeah, and I need to flip-and-a-flop with the stem cos at the moment, it's set a bit 'race' for my old back.. :oops: :oops:

I was going to grab that for Chris and dangle it off the bridge if it was still there this morning then it suddenly vanished.

FluffyChicken":3vbhxiaa said:
I was going to grab that for Chris and dangle it off the bridge if it was still there this morning then it suddenly vanished.

buyer pulled the auction, as he must've trusted my word.. :cool:

he saved money, I saved money - so evry bady appy now... :LOL:

John":3vbhxiaa said:
Nice. Work :)

Thanks John :cool:

looking forward to going out for a spin on it, later in the week..

Back