Orange C16 R rebuild

nightstalker

Retro Newbie
Hi, got put onto this place through a friend after picking up a project off a work colleague. When I was younger and fitter I used to be out on my bike all the time, racing downhill events and dreaming of getting those lovely X-lite bits and bobs.

Anyway, the bike. It's a little tatty at the moment but I plan on a full strip down, replacing all the components (searching for all the old and 90's items I could never afford back then)giving it a respray (in between working and working on my car-another hobby).

P1130776.jpg

Now excuse the components that are currently on it, especially these following :oops:

P1130780.jpg

P1130778.jpg

P1130781.jpg

The forks will be replaced with some Pace RC's

P1130779.jpg

P1130777.jpg

P1130782.jpg

I've ordered some new frame decals for when I do strip it down and respray the frame.

Some parts worth salvaging - i.e. the thumbies. Obviously some not - seatpost, headset etc.

Is the seatpost free?

Will be surprised how easily this will look better once swap some bits over. Frame itself looks ok - is a respray definately needed?

jimihendrix":2hwca7ab said:
Jeez what a stinker :LOL: , that headset looks a mess, forks look cheap and nasty, good base for a resto though :cool:

Yes, forks are cheap and nasty, they're off a cheap Raleigh of some sort and the headset and stem are nasty.

coomber":2hwca7ab said:
Some parts worth salvaging - i.e. the thumbies. Obviously some not - seatpost, headset etc.

Is the seatpost free?

Will be surprised how easily this will look better once swap some bits over. Frame itself looks ok - is a respray definately needed?

Re spray will be required to give it a fresh new look(it's going on my wall when finished :LOL:) , thumbies look a mess to be honest. I won't be rushing with this project as I have a million other things on at the moment too (car, house, work, wedding to name a few).

Greetings and welome to the club ;) Be prepared for an overload of Retro Goodness. Lovely to see another C16R gracing the forums, I will include some links which will show you that you can bring your bike back to the former glory that it was including my two C16R's, need any info drop me a line, but for now sit back and get that creative bike juice flowing,

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1422876

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=15

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169833

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Have fun and keep in touch :)

Jussa :D

Attachments

• c16rpace1_132.jpg
    c16rpace1_132.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 934
  • orangeresto_882.jpg
    orangeresto_882.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 934
Thanks for the inspiration Jussa :D Like I say, this is a little side project in between doing my car and my house, so it won't be done very quickly, but it'll be done.

Hi guys I decided to start some work on the bike today and see the task ahead of me, it's been a while since I've got my tools on a bike and it was great (so much easier than working on cars!).

First of all I wanted to get some pictures of it with my big project (the car) as I think they are of similar age (and well, I love whoring my car out on forums too :LOL: )

P1140011.jpg

Those hideous forks :oops:
P1140012.jpg

P1140018.jpg

P1140014.jpg

P1140017.jpg

Now down to collecting bits:

I knew that after a respray I'd need some new frame decals so I got onto ebay and found some (sadly not C16r decals)
P1140027.jpg

I managed to get some X lite wheel skewers for my other bike so I'm going to transfer them over (I missed out on an X-lite Fly stem as well in red :evil: )
P1140028.jpg

And the colour I decided for the respray, this may cause controversy
P1140407.jpg

Satin Chocolate brown....... Making it a "Chocolate Orange"

Starting to strip it down:

So I grabbed my tools and started
P1140438.jpg

Coming across butchered bolts and random bolts holding brakes on
P1140437.jpg

Most of which have ended up in the bin like some other things
P1140440.jpg

P1140439.jpg

Some things however, will be kept
P1140441.jpg

P1140016.jpg

Realising I didn't have a chain cracker I had to postpone the job but this is how it is so far
P1140443.jpg

P1140444.jpg

I'm off to a BBQ now so will probably see what I can do tomorrow

If the chain is rusty and knackered, I would just cut through it with a hacksaw.

Cant remember if you said the seatpost is free or not? If its not, that might be a task for you to do!

Looks so much better already though, and as for brown, think that's a cool idea.

That headset nut looks like it was recovered off the titanic :D

Agree on the chain..it's a dead un so either hacksaw or if you have an axle grinder just wear off one of the rivets and it will pop off..Good to see old uns coming back to life

If your after a full set of correct of decals contact gil_m in here who does most of rb's decals

The forks you can go rigid or what seems to be the law..pace ..plenty around at not much pennies

Back