Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:23 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:47 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 802
Location: Quantocks
Great reading.
Thanks Sinnerman.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
minor_LEGEND wrote:
Great reading.
Thanks Sinnerman.


NO pobs mate, just wanted to explain my reasons for me having the bikes and to be fair, kinda say thankyou to both keith and chas really.

:oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 pm
Posts: 247
Location: Bognor Regis
2 Gorgeous builds there ; love also the story you put with it. My Bontrager nugget : I once read that his party trick was welding together the wrappers from Kit-Kats ( old skool metal foil variety ; clearly ) no idea if that is true but given his torch skills ; I can believe it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:14 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
kampos wrote:
2 Gorgeous builds there ; love also the story you put with it. My Bontrager nugget : I once read that his party trick was welding together the wrappers from Kit-Kats ( old skool metal foil variety ; clearly ) no idea if that is true but given his torch skills ; I can believe it.


Me too...lol.

Both these guys could turn water into wine, to my mind when it comes to bicycles. For me they took bicycle tubes to a new level thats for sure.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 pm
Posts: 217
Location: San Sebastian
Just WOW!! :shock:
Two very special bikes.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing their stories here.
Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:48 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:20 pm
Posts: 3883
Location: Everywhere & Nowhere
As usual, you go away for a long weekend and Carl pops up with another stunner.

The attention to detail is amazing and it all just fits together superbly. The background write up is brilliant and adds a layer to the story that makes it extra special

Good work mate and as always your builds are in a class of their own 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:51 pm
Posts: 733
Location: Bay Area
Damn!! 8)

Very cool bikes. I'm digging on the CR. I've never seen one this side of the pond, but I can see some definite parallels to KB.

One word of contructive criticism about your choice of brakes on the Bonty OR... Keith was not a big fan of the Pederson self energizing brakes. Here is a snippet from the fork manual:

Image

It's a bit blurry, but this is what it says.

Quote:
We do not recommend that you mount self energizing brakes on your fork. Our experience is that they offer very poor feedback to the rider and make precise braking control difficult. The brakes can also transmit unpredictably high forces to the cantilever posts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:19 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
classen wrote:
Damn!! 8)

Very cool bikes. I'm digging on the CR. I've never seen one this side of the pond, but I can see some definite parallels to KB.

One word of contructive criticism about your choice of brakes on the Bonty OR... Keith was not a big fan of the Pederson self energizing brakes. Here is a snippet from the fork manual:

Image

It's a bit blurry, but this is what it says.

Quote:
We do not recommend that you mount self energizing brakes on your fork. Our experience is that they offer very poor feedback to the rider and make precise braking control difficult. The brakes can also transmit unpredictably high forces to the cantilever posts.


Appreciate your thoughts mate, and appreciate your time to post... 8)

I am Aware, to be fair, and i have yet to find a fork application that did feel happy to fit a self energizing front brake at all.

This is probably why suntour only ever used the design for the rear brake only.

the whole "Too much power" for the front (as reported by the press) has intrigued me for many years, and i have never used an SE brake for the front.

As my spec list details, this brake is not intended to stay Long term, as i hope to have my ultimate Brake as the final solution. but i think this may take a while... :( and i can get impatient when builds drag on.

Also the wheels, after a good bank holiday weekend of riding, my fears were correct, i will certainly require new bearings for the hubs, i think its time they were replaced. Just need to find some....???

I also will be building a set of wheels using an original set of Bontrager Rolled down mavic Rims, but have decided to wait untill the correct condition bullseye hubs become available. in either BLUE and White or Black And White 36hole.

The seatpost will be replaced with a black XT with the logo present, and the saddle will be changed from the re-issue turbo shown, to either a black perforated turbo, or a Rolls titanio (vintage editions)

The bike has been with me too long for me not to get it to where i Ultimately want it to be, it means a lot to me personally, considering its origin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:27 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
Giom6 wrote:
As usual, you go away for a long weekend and Carl pops up with another stunner.

The attention to detail is amazing and it all just fits together superbly. The background write up is brilliant and adds a layer to the story that makes it extra special

Good work mate and as always your builds are in a class of their own 8)


Cheers mate, the Roberts is finished but the Bontrager has a little way to go yet.

I will update with any progress... :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
classen wrote:
Damn!! 8)

Very cool bikes. I'm digging on the CR. I've never seen one this side of the pond, but I can see some definite parallels to KB.




Chas Roberts has customers all over the world, if you ever get chance try one, it wont disappoint, im sure you will be as impressed as i was.

The Roberts below has even more paralllels to my mind.


Attachments:
Roberts Dogs Bollox the White Spiders Predecessor..JPG
Roberts Dogs Bollox the White Spiders Predecessor..JPG [ 119.59 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]
Roberts two piece wishbone.JPG
Roberts two piece wishbone.JPG [ 179.41 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Evolution.JPG
Evolution.JPG [ 199.87 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mechagouki, mkone and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group