Bigfoot Smokestone rebiuld

mf51y

Dirt Disciple
Started the rebuild this week, I have had the bike from new used it loads many years ago entered a few fun races , bike was fine but they were on Sundays after to many beers on the Sat night.

The bike has the blue bits and bobs with pace shocks XT kit as it was new, sorry no picture before forgot! but will post a few as the build progresses.

Down to the frame now, the headset was a pig to get undone ...weathered! The worst was the bottom bracket, bearings gone but what a performance to get it out. The aly to aly had grown together, the pin points struggled to cope but with a bit of heat ,hammer punch hacksaw,tears and relief it came out without any damage. I cant remember what was specked from new but one bit read titanium rest unreadable?

First job to polish out some battle wounds on the frame, some of the deep marks will come out but that will mean polishing through the lacquer which will mean polishing it all back to the metal...any advice?

The Tomahawk head post is black and shabby so will strip the paint off and buff back to metal

Original wheels and hubs need a good clean, hubs may want a referb

Shocks as new seat and post fine so only other problem is finding some tyres as ideally black tan sidewall 2.1. Spoke to Graham Foot today to enquire about some new decals but will wait and see how much before i get carried away on the frame.

keep you posted .

Sign me up obviously! :cool:

TC has the details for the chap who did my / our decals. Drop him a pm.

. . . . . . . . and get some pics up!

mf51y":yd3brmme said:
The aly to aly had grown together, the pin points struggled to cope but with a bit of heat ,hammer punch hacksaw,tears and relief it came out without any damage. I cant remember what was specked from new but one bit read titanium rest unreadable?

If it is titanium and used small holes to remove I would put money on it being either Zero, Hope, or Royce.

My best guess would be Zero as they were used at the time and I am pretty sure that HOPE or Royce would have been stamped on the shells of those and still readable.

Have a look at the Zero catalogue,

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... es/mid90s/

They also used to spec the quick releases and crank bolts I believe.

Yep what's left of it is a Zero Titanium measures 73-125

I could get new bearings but the cups are u/s so the chances of finding some of those is slight. As for a replacement not sure whether to go for a un54 which is 73-122 or a un72 which is 73-127. ..not sure on the clearances and which would line up the best mmmm

As for decals how do i find the guy you mentioned from his initials....me being a bit thick.

thanks again.

I might have one of these soon.... ;) :D

so I'm looking forward to this too.... pics pics pics...

Still a bit to do bits and bobs were everywhere!!!!!

pics not that exciting

need some tyres and advice on bottom bracket :D

Attachments

• IMG_201204188169.jpg
    IMG_201204188169.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_2012041825271.jpg
    IMG_2012041825271.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_2012041852807.jpg
    IMG_2012041852807.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 946
mf51y":2n7ar7zl said:
As for decals how do i find the guy you mentioned from his initials....me being a bit thick.

thanks again.

No worries, TC is building a Smokestone at the moment as well. His thread is here,

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=bigfoot

If you click on the "pm" at the bottom of one of his posts I'm sure he can help you out with the decals.

I really like the blue accented ones, check this one out :cool:

pbpic3474207.jpg

Also, if your cranks are Shimano XT M730's I think an axle width of of 122.5mm is required. I think.

Back