GT LTS-1 restoration

fifigglepiggle

Retro Newbie
Just in the process of restoring my GT LTS-1 (I think it's a 1997 model)

I used the bike for years until the back end became wobbly and then it stood in my garage for 7 or 8 years. The other week I thought enough is enough I need to sort it out and get it sold.

Not being a bike mechanic I thought hmm, this is going to be a big job, especially as my LBS Brain Rourke's couldn't help me out. Anyway, I've spent many nights in the garage till midnight (think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!) and have completely stripped it, degreased and regreased anything that moved or screwed in and sorted out the wobbly rear end. Turns out the bushings in the rear drop out were worn as were the travel chips so a quick trip to eBay and £40 later it's now fixed. I'd put the BETD bearing upgrade on it years ago so all is now super smooth and stiff once again.

Just need to sort out the bearings in the headset and it should be good for the trails once more. I'll post some pics when it's complete but in the meantime this pic is of her before restoration. I'm not putting the DCD back on and yes I know the seat needs levelling!

It's running Shimano XT throughout with Hope C2 discs. The wheels are Mavic XC317's built onto Hope hubs and are still as true as the day I got them. The only problem I can see at the moment is the length of the Kore stem and the bars are so wide also. How I managed to get through trees with those bars is unbelievable!

Attachments

• LTS-1a.jpg
    LTS-1a.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 856
I'm not so sure now. My intention was to sell it but the longer I'm spending on it the more I'm falling back in love with it. We'll see but if she stays I'll have to make room which is something I'm short of. It is a head turner though...ooh, decisions decisions...!!

thats one nice looking gt you have got there,if you do sort your stem out,and you wish to part with that one,please give me a shout,i am in the process of sorting a zaskar out,and could do with a kore stem,as my bike is 96.. :)

Back