Proflex 856 (Project Retro Full Susser First Build Finished)

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, so i've built a few Retro Hardtails since finding this awesome site, and have loved every minute of both Building and Riding them. But one thing has always been on my mind and thats building a Retro Full Susser Bike,. I'm not sure why, but its just been on my list of things to do :D

Anyway i was originally looking for an Orange X1 or X2, and then changed my direction upon seeing a few GT's but one day i was doing my usual trawl through the Sales posts and came across Ringo's sale of this Silver Proflex 856. My eyes lit up and i sent a PM hoping it was still available, this was the one!!! Result it was, money changed hands and the Frame was dispatched :)

Now i must point out i know very little about Proflex frames, but did a search and came up with some good info on them, what to look for, pros & cons etc, so when mine arrived i was suitably pleased that it was in very good condition with only a little bit of damage, scrapes and knocks from wear and tear but nothing structural. The decals were in good condition although missing from the rear swing arm, but this is a minor issue. The elasomers fitted to the rear shock seemed in good shape and there was no play in the swing arm, generally all seemed very good indeed. The original pics of the frame it had the 'Yellow/Orange' elastomers fitted, but thankfully it came with some new 'Black' firm elastomers.

Before the clean up starts i wanted to make a mock up of the bike so i could start to play with ideas on groupsets, etc. I had a set of Marzocchi X-Fly forks sitting in the shed and until i decide if i am going down the Girvin route i was going to stick them on and at least get it up and running. I did remove the decals which looked lke they were applied at the bike shop where it came from BITD, purely as they were peeling anyway.

A cheap 1 1/8" headset was fitted courtesy of Mrgrumpy (Carl at Pauls Cycles Dereham) and my Forks were fitted. I had some wheels, STXRC Rear Hub with a Vuelta Airline Rim and Alivio Front Hub with matching Vuelta Airline Rim, some Inova tyres i had kicking around and they were soon up and running.

KORE Stem fitted and some black riser bars and the whole bike started to take shape. Initially my first thought were 'I Like This!!!' the front end sat a little higher than if it had Girvins fitted, but yet it seem to adopt a great stance, proof of the pudding will be on the trails once complete, but so far i am pleased with the whole look of it.

STXRC Front & Rear Mech will be fitted, along with a STXRC Front Crankset. Some STX Shifters (3x:cool: will be fitted along with Magura HS33 EVO II Hydraulic Rim Brakes. I was gonna fit my Raceline D's but i have some NOS Boxed Black HS33's so i think they will look the part, the EVO II booster kit is all black also so will really set the silver frame off with black components. A 27.2 Seatpost will be sourced and for the time being i have a DMR saddle that will finish it off. Some NOS Onza Porcipaws grips to grab on and then i will be hitting the trails :D

The rear elastomer shock will be changed in time, once i can source a mounting kit so i can fit a conventional shock or i can afford a Noleen or Risse from the USA, but thats a future modification.

There will be some tweaks along the way, but this will be my first Toe in the water with a Retro Full Susser.

Updates will follow, and any info from any Proflex owners would be gratefully recieved. But for now here it is, My 1996 Proflex 856 Full Susser :D

Attachments

• photoproflex6.JPG
    photoproflex6.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,145
  • photoproflex5.JPG
    photoproflex5.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,144
  • photoproflex3.JPG
    photoproflex3.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,144
  • photoproflex2.JPG
    photoproflex2.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2,144
I fancy trying one of these in due course too.

Looking like a good basis for build.

(Perhaps wrongly) I was under the assumption that the elastomers could be swapped for a spring kit as these shocks already had oil damping.

As I say could be wrong though.

Is there much movement from the rear?

letmetalktomark":3rf8h6ba said:
I fancy trying one of these in due course too.

Looking like a good basis for build.

(Perhaps wrongly) I was under the assumption that the elastomers could be swapped for a spring kit as these shocks already had oil damping.

As I say could be wrong though.

Is there much movement from the rear?

It appears to be fairly rigid at the mo, but then without a saddle and some proper positioning of my nearly 100kg 6ft 2" frame over the bike i cant really tell :D will update on that one very soon.

As for the Rear Shock, you can swap for a spring, I have another Proflex XPX which is my next project if my 856 works well, it has the same rear shock but with a spring (See Pic) I need to look into it further to see how it works, or if its a home grown modification. Maybe someone in Retrobike land can shed some light on this one?

Attachments

• photoXPX.JPG
    photoXPX.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,117
Thats a home conversion, and it happened in my home.

The elastomer base plate is kept to seat the spring, the plastic knurled adjuster nut is cut down to accomodate a longer spring and the silver top spring seat is a top hat shaped washer.
It's then a case of finding a spring rate to suit, that one is stiff for me at it's lowest pre load but then I'm only 5' 6" and 12 stone.

The 856 is looking good, I wish I could get on with these bikes I do like them.

NAILTRAIL96":rm0j66f9 said:
Thats a home conversion, and it happened in my home.

The elastomer base plate is kept to seat the spring, the plastic knurled adjuster nut is cut down to accomodate a longer spring and the silver top spring seat is a top hat shaped washer.
It's then a case of finding a spring rate to suit, that one is stiff for me at it's lowest pre load but then I'm only 5' 6" and 12 stone.

The 856 is looking good, I wish I could get on with these bikes I do like them.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it all becomes clear now :) I may have to look at having a go myself, see how i get on with the elastomers on the 856 first, then i can always swap n mix n match between the XPX. Very happy so far, looking forward to having the XPX up and running too :) the 856 is very much a Test-Bed for my first Full Susser build and i guess i will learn a lot along the way.

Thanks for the info :)

Borrowed my old 856 from a mate to do the Hell of Horcum ride two weeks ago it was a revalation compared to the same ride last year on my orange P7 so comfortable, suffered terribly with chainsuck in the small ring though, sugin chainset??? Too tight to buy an XT one when i built it BITD, do think they look better fitted with Crosslinks or similar mind, good luck with the build.

dicoverybmw":w4n3iddj said:
Borrowed my old 856 from a mate to do the Hell of Horcum ride two weeks ago it was a revalation compared to the same ride last year on my orange P7 so comfortable, suffered terribly with chainsuck in the small ring though, sugin chainset??? Too tight to buy an XT one when i built it BITD, do think they look better fitted with Crosslinks or similar mind, good luck with the build.

Cheers mate :D Once the build is done i may look at some different forks, its kinda 'work in progress' so may change along the way, its more a spare parts bin special at the moment, i may use it as a test build for my XPX which is sat in the Man Cave, i've got a modern Voodoo Canzo Full Susser, so will be interestig to see how this compares, whils i am sure it will be totally different it will be interesting and fun :)

Ok, so last night i got to have a dig around in the 'Man Cave' and sort out the Groupset and Brakes for my Proflex build.

I was Karma'd a nice NOS Kalloy 27.2 Seatpost, it will need cutting down as the Proflex has a Seatpost stop preventing it from lowering onto the rear shock.

Evilbay was kind enough to be source for a NOS Bottom Pull STX-RC Front Mech, with a high mount, needed for the mech to have clearance from the pivot point on the frame.

Rear Mech was from my Orange C16R when i made the change from STX-RC to XT739 parts. Although i have got a spare XT739 rear mech i may keep it all STX-RC for this build.

3x8 Shifters again from my C16R.

The Maguras i've had in my 'Man Cave' for some time, I have a bit of a soft spot for Maggies, and have owned Magura Tomac Edition, Blues, Raceline & Raceline D's in the past. I've still got a couple of sets but these will suit the build especially with the NOS Black EVO II booster set and mounts.

This weekend will see me starting to build up the bike further.

Attachments

• Maguras.JPG
    Maguras.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,923
  • Groupset.JPG
    Groupset.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,923
Update on the old Flex :D

Well i ummed and ahhhhd, and thought hard about the fork situation, not wanting to carry on with the build until i was sure, but i have decided, its these sweet pieces of Bling that will grace the Flex,

Big thanks to 'old skool babe' for coming up trumps on this one, numerous messages back and forth, myself being a total amature with these forks must have asked a million and one questions, but not once did 'old skool babe' falter, delivering much needed info, hints, tips on these great looking forks.

The deal was struck and the forks dispatched, along with a few Karma items thrown in, many thanks, this transaction went way over that of normal sales, you have my testimonial and vote for Top Customer Care :D

Anyway the forks look awesome, shiny, and very very fresh, a quick 'Autosol' and the deep mirror finish was gleaming.

Job for Saturday, trip to visit my mate Carl 'MRGRUMPY' at 'Pauls Cycles' to get the old headset out and the new Chris King Headset, fitted and then reducers for the 1" Steerer and the Forks will be on the Flex :D

Its then that the build will commence in ernest :)

Stay tuned Retrobikers!!

Attachments

• GirvinForks.JPG
    GirvinForks.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,824
  • GirvinForks1.JPG
    GirvinForks1.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,824
I do like the older proflex's and jus it looks like you are enjoying them too, nice one

Back