Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:11 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

So what colour Saracen decals do I go with??
Black 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
White 55%  55%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:32 pm 
Old School Grand Master

That was looking promising for a moment their mate :? but where the hell did that rain come from as we never saw a drop of it :shock: ..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

So, before the rear shift issue got me stumped, finally some real progress as the covers come off at last...

...and the wheels get slotted in for the first time;

That's better, I'm liking this already :D Crankset and rear mech; LX with Kooka rings...

Add a couple of gear cables so I can fit the chain and then decide to fit the Wellgo DX-style pedals in preference to the red ano Malletts...

It was then I rather unwittingly fell foul of the SRAM X_ shifter/Shimano rear mech. incompatibility issue! :oops:

However, thanks to the ever present instant knowledge-base that makes this forum such a boon, I now await a 9-speed SRAM Rocket shifter in the Post, courtesy of eBay, that will enable me to move another step closer to completing this build 8)

Hmmmm, must remember to send off e-mails re the pewter headtube badge and some decals...

...so that will have to do for now I think :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Mmmmmm this bubble gum Saracen is looking really special 8) and now i've seen the colour of the Wellgo pedals i can only but agree with you choosing them over the ano :wink: and i discovered this evening that when i increase the magnification of your pics that theirs just that certain something about that red paintwork that grabs your attention 8) ..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:59 am 
Old School Grand Master

Having ridden the purple Saracen before it went to it's new home in Norwich I'm now looking forward to getting out on this...

...there may be a bit of a weight penalty with the Halo's but that just means they take slightly longer to spin up; once you're on the move the extra rotating weight makes them fly, and very smooth on tarmac, cycleways, towpaths etc 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Well the Rocket 9-speed shifter arrived in the Post today...

...now I just need to get a pair of matching X7's in black so I can swap the Shimano compatible 9-speed internals over and maintain my red and black theme :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:27 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Thought red was a little safe but it looks great

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:27 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Looks like the one I got from you ade

Looks good steve ,like it

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm really looking forward to the next update after you've got the gears sorted and looking forward to seeing more pics especially if you get it out on the trails :wink: 8) ....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

So, thanks to a really on-the-ball eBayer, my 'new' (non-compatible) X7 shifters arrived in the Post this morning...

...today also just happening to be my day off :D

Clockwise from the bottom; the offending X-7 shifter I really liked the look of, not realising it was incompatible with the Shimano rear mech. :facepalm: ; the black '06 X-7 9-speed shifter that arrived today; and the Shimano-compatible 'Rocket' 9-speed shifter. Plus a really handy 'How-to' here...

http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/sra ... r-rebuild/

...slightly different to the X-7 but at least I had some idea what to expect when the covers came off!

Now it was just a case of swapping the bits from the top shifter into the bottom one; note to self...

'If you're going to be a clever-arse refer to your own photo's whilst you're at it. That way you may not put the same (expletive deleted) bits back in the same (another expletive deleted!) shifter then have to wonder why it still doesn't (...and another :oops: ) work when you fit it to the bike!' :facepalm:

So, after repeating the process correctly I now have a Shimano-compatible X-7 rear shifter...

...that is more in keeping with my red & black theme than the silver Rocket 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 pm 
Old School Grand Master

As well as swapping over my modified X-7 shifters I had a slight rethink on the handlebar too...

...figuring if this one was going to be different I may as well go the whole hog!

As luck would have it I had just enough outer cable left over for the longer run, and I hadn't yet cut the inners! :o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next