1993-4 Mongoose Amplifier in Fluro.. Finished :)

IRIX

Retro Guru
I got my amp about a year ago and quickly decided I wanted to make it unique and my own. This is after all my Unicorn bike and has long been an object of desire.

But it was missing an amp fork so I had to hunt one down. These aren't easy to find I soon found out. But finally I found one for a decent price.
Bought new wheels (Coda) with a 8-9spd hub & a M737 cassette so finally the XT group was complete.

I decided on keeping the rear suspension triangle polished alloy but painting the front triangle Fluorescent Yellow with turquoise & black decals. Fork legs will be fluorescent yellow as well as the Kore stem & handlebars.

Now it was time to get started....
Step 1: Separating the horst link and removing the rear suspension triangle.

NOT so easy.. The bolts on the pivot them selfs where so soft that they rounded out as soon as i touched them. After much research i decided to file the head off, have the bit drilled out and replacing the bolt with a standard 5mm allen bolt.

Finally the thing was appart so I could start the work on the main triangle.
Had the BB removed by a local bikeshop for free since i didnt have the correct tools for it.

Step 2: Paint stripping the main triangle. (Current stage)
It took some guts to take that step... My thoughts were "will I ruin my bike or should i just leave it as is...." Screw it.. Lets do this!
The paint stripping goo was applied and worked well. It was some kind of eco friendly paint stripper so the fumes where really not that strong.
The paint bubbled and melted but the bloody stickers stayed! Took for ever to get them off. The paint stripper doesn't seem to work on vinyl...

Currently the frame is allmost ready for paint. Just need to clean the cable hangers better.

I inspected the frame after stripping and found no cracks at all.
More to follow soon

Attachments

• fullview.jpg
    fullview.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 2,657
  • decalSet.jpg
    decalSet.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,657
  • BBshell_stripped.jpg
    BBshell_stripped.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,656
  • paint_stripping.jpg
    paint_stripping.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,655
BaseCoat drying..

Attachments

• IMG_8861-1.jpg
    IMG_8861-1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,538
  • stem_acidetcgCoat.jpg
    stem_acidetcgCoat.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,538
Aaand first layer of fluro paint after 3 coats of a white sand-able primer

Attachments

• IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,536
Decals just arrived today from the printers :)
I did them my self from scratch since I found it to much of a hassle to order them from the Uk.. Now to see if I was wise to do that...

Attachments

• decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,455
Fork ready for clear coat :) This color is insaaane :)
New decals are on :)

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,449
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 2,449
Art

Judging by your fantastic artwork this bike had to turn out a masterpiece :cool:

Well done so far....and ive only seen the painted forks :!:

Back