Retro Inspired Roberts

Fillet Brazed

Retro Newbie
dogsbolx.jpg

This is my Retro Inspired DOGS BOLX, I needed a custom frame to cope with my oragutan arms and always wanted one of these back in the early 90's. It's currently being resprayed before next season in the classic black and white. I think the size of it makes it look a bit like a Kona.

The next one is scanned out of Cycling Weekly from early '93, That's me on the left, far skinnier than today in a race at Penshurst. The bike's a Carerra Quattro Comp GT Frame and Forks (531 main tubes)that I got for £50, mostly built up with DX and using pedals and shoes borrowed from my road bike, I used to think it was a good idea to run a 50T chainring back then :D

cycling-weekly.jpg

That's the photo I gave the painter :D I'll take some new shots once I get the frame back and rebuild the bike.

I had originally planned to get black and white but liked the rubberised gunmetal, once I built the bike up I knew I had made a mistake. Rides nice though.

Nice one. I look forward to seeing it.

Is it designed to take that fork? I'd have assumed they were all built around a 60 or 80 mm travel fork?

Gibbon arms... a fellow sufferer!! I'm only six feet tall and yet have to ride a 19.5" frame. I'm doubly afflicted as I have really short legs as well! Nice bike and welcome.

Thanks for the welcome chaps, I don't have anything truly retro yet but do have a thing for custom Steel and Ti :D

Its designed around a 100mm fork, I didn't want to restrict myself to the limited number of 80mm forks available.

Like Iwasgoodonce I'm about 6' but the top tube on it is about 24" and I still run a 110mm stem. I feel a lot more balanced and central on the bike than any previous frame and it is amazingly stable on decents. I think a normally proportioned person would need to be about 6'4"+ to be comfortable. My road bikes have 60cm toptubes to allow me to run sensible (120mm) stems.

Roberts

Nice bike mate and welcome! Think i also suffer the long arm thing.Current modern ride is a large Turner 5-Spot.24 inch top tube and run a 110mm stem.Could proably manage an even longer top tube! Just bought a De-kerf which is a larger frame(21inch) but also has a 24 inch top tube.110mm stem again i think! Think MBR will be cringing! Needs a 50mm or 60mm stem on there! Yeah right!!
Thanx Max

Fillet Brazed":39oloamj said:
This is my Retro Inspired DOGS BOLX, I needed a custom frame to cope with my oragutan arms and always wanted one of these back in the early 90's. It's currently being resprayed before next season in the classic black and white. I think the size of it makes it look a bit like a Kona.

Another member called called Fillet Brazed :shock:
You're in the UK though right? Fillet-Brazed owns the ultimate retrobike IMO!
Welcome - very nice bike. When you get it resprayed have Gil_M make you some original decals like BOTM December ;) :cool:

ooh I didn't know there was another Fillet Brazed, will admin let me alter my login slightly? perhaps Billet Frazed :D

It's being resprayed by colourtech who do all Roberts work,the only problem is getting the little columbus dove, although it's not really relevant on the newer DBs as they are a mix of Columbus Reynolds and Deddaccai.

Back