Found in the bike shop basement - Brand New '94 Merlin MTB

kscycler

Retro Newbie
I was at the LBS and the discussion came 'round to Merlins. I ride a '92 Merlin Road. The LBS guys said, "We have a Merlin mountain bike, a brand new '94. It's in the basement". When it came through the door, I had to have it. A brand new '94 MTB, 1 1/8 head tube, '97 XTR group, Manitou Mars Elite fork, Specialized CrossMax wheels with bladed spokes. The bike had been in the basement for almost 18 years. It's completely brand new, never ridden, never outside. The rims have never seen a brake pad, other than touching on the shop floor years ago. Pictures mediafire dot com with this extension /?x4ikte1jd3io9.

Don't have plans to ride it, just let it hang on the wall, I guess. But glad it's out of the LBS basement... :eek:

the wall?

Sweet. It's lovely, but that bike should be ridden hard, then put away wearing some proper '94 era kit. The M900/910 stuff was just finished so nice. As well as it works, the finish on the 950 and later stuff was a cop-out.

kscycler":2cyf46rf said:
Don't have plans to ride it, just let it hang on the wall, I guess. But glad it's out of the LBS basement... :eek:

Really??? i don't see how it being bought to be hung up on a wall a whole lot better than sitting in a basement of some shop.

Great deal on that, given everything being practically NOS. but the math does not add up, as neither the frame nor the build match the year. i have a 94 and it's a 1" headtube.

Back