Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 101  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:08 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

As the sun was out... Heres 60 inchs of Kona.

A cheeky 2nd pic (as its three bikes) and yes I know only the LD is a 96. But the PHH is half 96 and the KK would just get upset if left out ;)

Post subject: Re: Kona's page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:22 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

GeneralOsik wrote:
I just picked up this beautiful 1996 Kona Hahanna. I am blaming this thread and 50 pages of stunning bikes for the loss of $100 USD and the acquisition of my new bike, Hannah. Thanks a lot! :x :wink:

After cleaning her and swapping parts, the only parts that aren't original are the tires (pulled from my old Gary Fisher), the saddle (old Velo Gelite I had laying around), the water bottle cage, the grips (also pulled from my Gary Fisher), and the bell. Everything else is original to the bike, even the break pads (yes I checked; they haven't hardened yet).

I responded to a Craigslist ad this past Sunday at 10:30 at night and set up an appointment for the following day. Then I read all 50 pages of this thread and got really excited about my find. Roughly two days later, she has a new owner and has been cleaned up. I took her to my LBS and they thought that it looked newer than the new bikes there. She has less than 50 miles on her and only had a bit of WD-40 on her drivetrain.

Before:

After:

Bonus: Can you tell which two Konas are in the bike shop window?

I already have great plans for her. First priority is to get a new saddle and seat post. Then I'm going to slowly upgrade most of the other components. I'm thinking baby blue (to match the Kona logo) and orange parts. Please, if you know of any quality parts that are either of these colors, let me know!

Well, Kona heads, what do you think?

Bud.. Thats a lovely hahanna in great condition .. You mention about the "Kona's" in the shop window . I can see down decal from 1995 era.. But it looks like a 29 er.. Can you tell me more

Ernie :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 pm 
Retro Guru

ernie wrote:

Bud.. Thats a lovely hahanna in great condition .. You mention about the "Kona's" in the shop window . I can see down decal from 1995 era.. But it looks like a 29 er.. Can you tell me more

Ernie :wink:

It's this bad boy Ernie:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec044055

:xmas-cool:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 pm 

Hey Ernie!

I have some new pictures!

I've set her up as my commuter. I've put almost 500 miles on her since I got her!
I've added a rack and I have some new lights, but this is the most recent picture of her.

It's a Kona Unit 29er singlespeed. I love their choice in decals. '94 - '96 is my favorite era for Konas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 pm 
Old School Hero

Picking this up tomorrow, bought on a bit of a whim as had one back in the day.........struggling to correctly age it though so any help appreciated......and no doubt will be asking lots of questions as I start tastefully upgrading it.

$(KGrHqQOKosFG-BUOBtpBR)uocgsm!~~60_12 by ajj_photography, on Flickr

$T2eC16V,!w0E9szNZIYvBR)uqTZkn!~~60_12 by ajj_photography, on Flickr

$(KGrHqF,!rkFG9-UJZ!NBR)upnpZJg~~60_12 by ajj_photography, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:33 pm 

It's either a '97 or '98. I think it's a '97, because the decals don't look quite right to be a '98. It's very clean, and it has a nice hodge podge of parts. I especially like the thumbies.

Is that a Salsa decal on the seat tube?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 pm 
Retro Guru

I don't think it's a Kona. The frame doesn't look right to me. The seat stays appear from the picture to be wavy whereas Kona seat stays (certainly 1996-99) are straight on the steel frames. I think it's a Voodoo that's been re-stickered or something else. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will know for sure, but it might be worth posting some pics up on the main forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:07 pm 
Old School Hero

Will post up on the main forum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:12 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

markwashington wrote:
I don't think it's a Kona. The frame doesn't look right to me. The seat stays appear from the picture to be wavy whereas Kona seat stays (certainly 1996-99) are straight on the steel frames. I think it's a Voodoo that's been re-stickered or something else. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will know for sure, but it might be worth posting some pics up on the main forum.

Agreed. I'm no expert, particularly on the later Kona's but I thought all the seat stays were straight too. I don't recognise the diamond shape around the bottle bosses either. I think there would be rack mounts on the seat stays too.

It looks familiar though. Can't help thinking I've seen it recently somewhere (not last week on ebay though)

Last edited by raidan73 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master

This was outed on the ebay page and the general consensus was the same: it's almost certainly not a Kona. Thats no bad thing if it's something nice like a Voodoo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 101  Next