Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 101  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:29 pm 
South West Deputy AEC
South West Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:15 am
Posts: 2621
Location: DEVON
Don't phone, it's just for fun! :D


Attachments:
small 060720102005.jpg
small 060720102005.jpg [ 115.01 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
small 060720102008.jpg
small 060720102008.jpg [ 122.66 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:00 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 1090
Location: Calder Valley
My 91 Cindercone


Attachments:
kona2.jpg
kona2.jpg [ 154.94 KiB | Viewed 3971 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: My rediscovered Kilauea
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:55 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 3
Location: Essex
Here's a pic of my original mountain bike, that I thought was gone for good, found it at the weekend buried at the back of my parents garage!!! Really pleased, just got a lot of cleaning to do now.


Attachments:
31102009-022.jpg
31102009-022.jpg [ 240.5 KiB | Viewed 3893 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:30 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 pm
Posts: 2817
Location: London
Recently completed (bar swapping cranks over):

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:21 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7305
Location: Hove
MAP70 wrote:
Here's a pic of my original mountain bike, that I thought was gone for good, found it at the weekend buried at the back of my parents garage!!! Really pleased, just got a lot of cleaning to do now.

That's excellent. It's quite rare to see one of the original 1992 Kilaueas in the black option colour. There can't have been all that many made, given that the Kilauea didn't come out until late in the season. It's a size 19 frame, but although it's a 1992 model, it anticipates the new 1993 geometry and shape of frame.

Seems to be pretty original, right down to the tyres. They're worth quite a bit now, but I hope you won't take them off!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:14 pm
Posts: 13403
Location: Warwick
Agree with Anthony on the above - rare to see one in black with the 93 build spec and parts. Wierd infact!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 3
Location: Essex
Anthony wrote:
MAP70 wrote:
Here's a pic of my original mountain bike, that I thought was gone for good, found it at the weekend buried at the back of my parents garage!!! Really pleased, just got a lot of cleaning to do now.

That's excellent. It's quite rare to see one of the original 1992 Kilaueas in the black option colour. There can't have been all that many made, given that the Kilauea didn't come out until late in the season. It's a size 19 frame, but although it's a 1992 model, it anticipates the new 1993 geometry and shape of frame.

Seems to be pretty original, right down to the tyres. They're worth quite a bit now, but I hope you won't take them off!


Thanks for that Anthony, the only things I added to the bike, were the xlite bar ends, xlite seat post bolt, a computer and SPD's (original Onza's then shimano) but I still have all the original parts stored away. The tyres and wheels were hardly used as I put another set on it for some reason and too be honest can't remember when they were changed back to the originals.

I've had the bike from new and bought it from Finch and Son's in Reigate, if I remember rightly it was a toss-up between this and Specialized of some type. The reason I put ' I thought it was gone for good' is because it actually went 'missing' during a typically messy divorce. And nobody remembers it being returned or put in the garage :shock:

Anyway I've got it back now and I can't believe how pleased I am, my only worry is the stem, it's got a lot of surface rust across the top which I'm going to have to deal with, I'll put a photo of it on here later, and if anyone can pass on some advice or tips I would be very grateful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: My 1991 Explosif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
My 1991 Explosif. My first renovation, love it. Colour inspired by Sesame Snaps. I know the decals are newer, I just liked them better. Full XT+thumbies, Cook Bros, White Bros, Ringle. And yeh I have got a computer on it. Had it set up with slicks for a while as a roady.
Long live Kona!!

Wanted: 16/17" explosif or kilauae frame, early 90's. Cheers
url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[35460576@N06/5016957561/]Image[/url]
1991 Explosif by mangacheeka, on Flickr


Last edited by derson on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:41 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7305
Location: Hove
MAP70 wrote:
nobody remembers it being returned or put in the garage :shock:

How do you know it was human hand? It might have been the Gods of the Fire Mountain 8)

MAP70 wrote:
Anyway I've got it back now and I can't believe how pleased I am, my only worry is the stem, it's got a lot of surface rust across the top which I'm going to have to deal with, I'll put a photo of it on here later, and if anyone can pass on some advice or tips I would be very grateful.

I wouldn't mind betting it's only surface. Being black makes it easier to repair. Remove as much rust as possible with a fine craft file. Then stabilise with Kurust from Halfords. Then repaint as close as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My 1991 Explosif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7305
Location: Hove
derson wrote:
My 1991 Explosif. My first renovation, love it. I know the decals are newer, I just liked them better.

It looks great. What type of rear brake cable stop is that? Looks quite a neat solution for the oval-shaped top tube.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 101  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blak_byke, jimi911, MSNbot Media, raidan73, shamobius, shinobi and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group